Best sounding muffler for 5.3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Tahoe 5.3 with a 2.9l whipple, corsa long tube headers, and the Chevy performance borla catback. I’m pretty happy with how my current exhaust setup sounds especially at WOT. I just feel the idle with the borla mufflers is a little quieter than I would like. I don’t want anything crazy loud and obnoxious as it is my daily. I just want something that has a nice deep v8 tone which the current borlas I have are lacking.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been a fan of Flowmaster over the years. The last one was on a 96 k1500 with the 5.0L. It was a 40 series I believe. I haven't tried one on a LS motor however. I have used mafnaflow, but has droning issues. When they changed the firing order on the LS motors, it seems harder to find a muffler that gives a nice rumble. I think as long as you get a muffler that has a balance pipe built in, the drone isn't an issue.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run straight pipes. The cat. converters make pretty decent mufflers and larger diameter pipes make for a pretty good sound. Guys (young guys) do that with trucks around here.

SpineDock

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Tahoe 5.3 with a 2.9l whipple, corsa long tube headers, and the Chevy performance borla catback. I’m pretty happy with how my current exhaust setup sounds especially at WOT. I just feel the idle with the borla mufflers is a little quieter than I would like. I don’t want anything crazy loud and obnoxious as it is my daily. I just want something that has a nice deep v8 tone which the current borlas I have are lacking.
What did you end up going with?
If you’d like to sell the Chevy performance cat back system then let me know!

shaunbolten

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I put a MBRP stainless cat back system on my 2017 5.3, great rumble at idle and beautiful plane through the RPM ranges. Definitely opens it's throat up from 3,300-6,000 RPM's. All the while retaining a nice groan that doesn't give you a headache at highway RPM. Installed myself in about two hours. All plug and play parts. Best part is it was only $500 with shipping to the house and I only needed a socket set to install it.

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
I have the flow master 70 series 'big block' muffler on my 15 Yukon.. I like it.. It's a mellow rumble. And... I can hear my wife coming from up the street.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf