Best shocks for towing? (Stock suspension 2002 2wd)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1970chevyguy02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently replaced the shocks on my 2002 2wd Tahoe with Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks. I occasionally pull a 21 ft travel trailer that weighs around 3500 lbs. The Tahoe squats significantly more with these new shocks than it did with the old shocks I thought were worn out. Plus, I don't really like the ride of the Monroe Reflex shocks either. Can someone recommend rear shocks that perform well especially for a tow vehicle? Thanks.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced the shocks on my 2002 2wd Tahoe with Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks. I occasionally pull a 21 ft travel trailer that weighs around 3500 lbs. The Tahoe squats significantly more with these new shocks than it did with the old shocks I thought were worn out. Plus, I don't really like the ride of the Monroe Reflex shocks either. Can someone recommend rear shocks that perform well especially for a tow vehicle? Thanks.

Stock Brian. Plug your VIN in here and have your "T" codes handy from your RPO sheet: https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

Lots of others are happy towing with Bilsteins, 4600s I believe.

rgosart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Monroe Reflex shocks on my daily driver and they are absolutely garbage. Had 3 RF strut failures before I got a good one. One didn't even make it on the car. Showed up leaking oil all over the box. I am stuck with them now because I don't want to put any money into it, but I certainly wouldn't buy them again.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Bilstiens. I have AC Delco shocks on my Tahoe and I have been happy with them. You can also add AirLift bags to help with the squatting.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DSCF3491.JPG DSCF3493.JPG DSCF3494.JPG If your truck still had the original rear shocks on it (Black with a big yellow sticker on the bottom with a eight digit P/N) you just removed the Original Sachs load leveling shocks that are close to 400.00 ea. if the truck ride is firm and they did not have oil on them they were still good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1970chevyguy02

1970chevyguy02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If your truck still had the original rear shocks on it (Black with a big yellow sticker on the bottom with a eight digit P/N) you just removed the Original Sachs load leveling shocks that are close to 400.00 ea. if the truck ride is firm and they did not have oil on them they were still good.
Thanks everyone for the excellent information! Yes jonnytahoe I just checked and they are the original black shocks with a big yellow sticker. I re-installed them within a week of installing the Monroes and being very unhappy with them. Glad I didn't toss them!

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the excellent information! Yes jonnytahoe I just checked and they are the original black shocks with a big yellow sticker. I re-installed them within a week of installing the Monroes and being very unhappy with them. Glad I didn't toss them!
Don't feel bad I replaced the original front shocks on my '00 Yukon with Monroe shocks because I figured they had to be shot being almost 20 years old if anything they were too stiff.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Aren't those OEM shocks the self-adjusting Nivomat shocks? If they are, and you replace them with conventional shocks, you should replace the springs, too, with the proper ones. There are several threads about that.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
keep your shocks and put helper bags in the springs with an air system, that's probably your best option, I made the mistake of changing mine and immediately tossing the originals, short story those original shocks used to be $500 each that was a costly mistake.
a upgraded sway bar such a Hellwig will help for cornering also

Last edited:

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aren't those OEM shocks the self-adjusting Nivomat shocks? If they are, and you replace them with conventional shocks, you should replace the springs, too, with the proper ones. There are several threads about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505