Best quiet performance muffler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TBRUCE312

TBRUCE312

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can’t help you with your question, but since you work in the field, how does the GM Borla sound on 5.3’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its very slightly louder than stock. Has a nice growl outside the truck especially at cold start. You have to really get on it to hear anything inside the cab. Very nice deep tone.

OP
OP
TBRUCE312

TBRUCE312

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For the money, I'm extremely pleased with AP Exhaust Xlerator series mufflers. Essentially identical to Magnaflow, just without "MF" embossed in the case and a fraction of the price. What's the exhaust pipe diameter on the Denali- 3.5"? Most of AP's mufflers are up to 3", but they have a 4" with a 24" case that should give you what you're looking for: https://www.amazon.com/AP-Exhaust-Products-XS2772-Muffler/dp/B004A5L9PG

At only $53, the two 3.5" to 4" adapters and the resonator (if you want it) would still have you under the cost of just the Magnaflow muffler.
I just learned about AP yesterday when I found this forum. Wish I'd known about this before I got the Flowmaster super 50 for my truck. Do they last as long as a stainless steel MF or FM?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just learned about AP yesterday when I found this forum. Wish I'd known about this before I got the Flowmaster super 50 for my truck. Do they last as long as a stainless steel MF or FM?

I've had mine since October 2018 and, other than the dirt on it, it still looks like the day I installed it. I guess I should qualify that by saying we don't have salt here. It really can't be compared to the Flowmaster Super 50 since that's a chambered and baffled muffler. The AP Xlerator is basically a glasspack, so it's a straight-through design but with a much thicker body and more packing than the typical glasspack. There's nothing to "not last", other than the packing to clog up over time if the engine's running rich. The baffled and/or chambered mufflers can have the walls and/or plates inside come loose and rattle.

Mine was barely a deep hum when cruising but got loud under hard throttle. Not loud inside, though. I say "was" because I recently got headers with no cats so now it's much too loud. Also, I have the one that's one step louder than the "stock replacement". It's just a little shorter at 18" versus the 22" stock replacement. That 4" one I linked to is 24" long. Based on my experience with mine, I'd say it'd be very near stock sound but definitely let you know it was there under hard throttle.

This is a 5.3, but it's something to compare:

Stock, no resonator:

AP XS1259:

AP XS1259, one year later:

This is the MF 12259 clone- the "one step louder than stock" muffler.