Best insurance company for Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s unreal. $4500 for 2 vehicles unless there’s a rough driving record or suspension for some reason. Costs vary by city how far to work your record credit cost of vehicle so it’s hard to say. I live in Virginia and pay $200 month for 3 cars 1-2018 1-2016 1-2007 a bike and a boat with Geico

AngeloUCF

Reaction score
That’s unreal. $4500 for 2 vehicles unless there’s a rough driving record or suspension for some reason. Costs vary by city how far to work your record credit cost of vehicle so it’s hard to say. I live in Virginia and pay $200 month for 3 cars 1-2018 1-2016 1-2007 a bike and a boat with Geico

Yeah, that's why I was asking the USAA guys specifically. We have been with them many years and while I know their claims support and customer service are top notch, I also know that it's not 3k/yr better!

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I was asking the USAA guys specifically. We have been with them many years and while I know their claims support and customer service are top notch, I also know that it's not 3k/yr better!
I’m with you there and unless you have a wreck you won’t speak to them. Not worth 3k imo wife and I with State Farm 30 years never thought about over paying checked Geico saved 2k year loyalty doesn’t mean discount I guess

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
USAA service is top notch. Cost of insurance also depends upon policy limits and coverages that are selected as well as the particular vehicles being insured.

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
USAA premium prices may rock but if your ride gets totalled, expect to go to war with the adjusters. I can tell you countless horror stories about USAA alone. No insurance company is your friend or “has your back”. It’s their job to maximize how much you pay them and how much they can not pay you back.

The dude with the $375 monthly premium ($4500/yr) is getting *****. The only people I know that pay that much have a bad bad driving record (DUI, drugs, at fault crashes) or have horrible credit or both. Clearly that is a high-risk premium He/she needs to seek a family member to launder the insurance through until they can clean up their act.

Run checks on your premiums annually. Insurance is a dynamic business. The actually rock bottom premiums are about the same between all of the companies. Find a reputable broker who has access to a TON of companies and not just State Farm or Farmers etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
USAA premium prices may rock but if your ride gets totalled, expect to go to war with the adjusters. I can tell you countless horror stories about USAA alone. No insurance company is your friend or “has your back”. It’s their job to maximize how much you pay them and how much they can not pay you back.

The dude with the $375 monthly premium ($4500/yr) is getting *****. The only people I know that pay that much have a bad bad driving record (DUI, drugs, at fault crashes) or have horrible credit or both. Clearly that is a high-risk premium He/she needs to seek a family member to launder the insurance through until they can clean up their act.

Run checks on your premiums annually. Insurance is a dynamic business. The actually rock bottom premiums are about the same between all of the companies. Find a reputable broker who has access to a TON of companies and not just State Farm or Farmers etc.

I am aware of the USAA horror stories on line. I can tell you from personal experience that USAA was very fair in how they treated both of my major auto claims last year. I pointed out that the appraiser made a mistake on my valuation and once I explained the error, they adjusted it without an issue.

One thing that I did notice from reading the complaints is that a lot of folks had unrealistic expectations regarding the value of their car or that they wanted the car fixed even though it was either unsafe to repair or the damage exceeded the damage threshold under state law. In those cases, the insurance company’s hands are tied.

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding valuations, they use the same dirty techniques all the other insurance companies do. Comes down to this classic scenario: you having a vehicle worth $15k (used fair market value via AutoTrader, CarGurus, KBB,etc). The insurance company (USAA for example) will return a “professional” looking 35 page report with all of these comparables inferring that your $15k is worth $9k. I’ve seen this nonsense for years. It’s not just USAA that does this, the entire industry plays this game. NOW to be clear, if you’re willing to wage war with USAA, they seem to back down on their trickery. But they sure will hold up a good fight. I just hope you have a good bump shop that is willing to help you fight the good fight. Also plan on having your car sitting in the body shops storage lot collecting $$$ per day fees. That stresses out the insurance company.

I can tell you tales all day of my experiences. The insurance companies have it figured out. They know if your car is totalled then you are in trouble - in America, if you don’t have a car then you don’t have legs. They squeeze you by giving you an ultimatum of constant lowball offers. I feel sorry for the folks who can’t go without their car for a few months while they fight the insurance company. Getting attorney isn’t worth it - the insurance company has that factored into their valuation calculation. A lawsuit will go beyond one year...all without a car.

Welcome to the world of auto insurance.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was in high school a parent that was an agent drove us to a bb game I asked him how insurance worked if I only paid $100 month and my car got totaled and I got $2000. His quote “you’ll never get more money than you’ve paid”

MajorFatal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
FWIW regarding USAA my Moms 2013 Mercedes E got totaled a couple of months ago and was worth 15kish trade in according to Edmunds and KBB. She got 20k first offer which we were happy with.
YMMV.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been with USAA since 1990 and have no complaints.

Bigger picture: a bunch of strangers on the internet cannot fairly compare their insurance premiums, simply because premiums are highly dependent on personal factors including nature and extent of coverage, miles driven per year, family profile, credit scores, etc.

You've got to do your own insurance shopping and your own analysis based on your own review & comparison of insurers; otherwise, you're fooling yourself into believing you're paying a lot more than, or less than, Bob Smith.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9