Best CV Axle for 3" Lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for good quality CV axles for a 2004 GMC Yukon AWD with 3" keys. Up until now I've replaced everything in the front end with ACDelco Professional parts for the 200k mile service. The CV axles from ACDelco are very expensive though. They're about $350 each. Is it worth it to use those? I've also read that you should use spacers or CV axles designed for lifts. Should I go that direction instead and what would you guys recommend? I'm new to CV axles by the way.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If possible, you'll want to install a front differential drop kit to bring the angle of the axles closer to 0. As long as you have that extra angle in there introduced by the lift, you'll be wearing through CV axles at an increased rate

I was hoping for a simpler route... I'm not too worried about wearing through them a little faster. If they wore out 25% faster I'd be fine with that.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I was hoping for a simpler route... I'm not too worried about wearing through them a little faster. If they wore out 25% faster I'd be fine with that.

Diff drops are pretty easy to install. Will be either some spacers, or an alternate bracket.

RCV makes really good stuff for lifted vehicles. Pricey though

In all honesty: Don't overthink the axles. IMO your best course of action here, rather than finding a boutique brand, would be to find something from a national chain that's close to you. Would make things like a warranty swap much easier. Based on your parts list, it doesn't sound like you'll be doing any offroading or big power or anything that would otherwise justify a 'fancy' axle.

Last point of note: Generally you'll be wearing through boots before you wear through the mechanical bits of the CV joint. Try to find one that uses neoprene, it'll last the longest

SlimJim

Reaction score
If possible, you'll want to install a front differential drop kit to bring the angle of the axles closer to 0. As long as you have that extra angle in there introduced by the lift, you'll be wearing through CV axles at an increased rate
Will a diff drip kit correct exessive cv angles on a 3" leveling kit? Also who makes them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64