Best Crate Motor and Trans for 1999 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hank89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am sure this has been discussed to death, so if there is an appropriate link, please let me know.

I am the original owner of a 99 tahoe RWD that has 250K on it. It probably isn't worth $500 bucks now, but my wife and I would like to completely redo it...paint is going to cost me 4K and I'd like to get a new motor, rebuilt trans, driveshaft...and may need rebuilt rear axle. I'd like to keep motor and trans under 10k if possible. I know I will not get my money back out of this project. What I'm looking for:

1. I want something completely reliable, that we can go anywhere in and is problem free for 150-200k
2. I want something that gets good gas mileage...at least as good as the original motor which was probably 15 mpg on the highway.
3. I want something drop in. I replaced the intake with felpro gaskets once...but would prefer something new...I want all new fuel injection system and not use existing.

So If you had 10K to spend on Motor and Trans...what would you do? Im looking at:

Would I be better off getting a RAMJET 350? I've read many different things on MPG all over the place.
A recommendation on transmission would be nice as well.

Really would like to order motor and transmission complete so I can just drop in on a weekend.

Thanks,
Hank

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only input I have is that I did a crate motor on my 96 Silverado c1500. It was a 5.0 Bought it from jeggs.com and spent under $2500 for a long block…. Engine ran great but if I had to do it again I would probably of bought all new accessories.. I swapped over everything from my old engine which worked but still didn’t give me that “new” engine reliability feel. If you know what I mean.

So at the time I installed a brand new engine with the original intake which I believe had the spider style injectors inside the intake If I’m not mistake.. same water pump and radiator. So I introduced all this old gunk from the cooling system into my new engine. Same old clutch fan.

This was a “I need an engine NOW” situation. Which I should of just bought a used engine if that was the case.. If I was in your shoes and planning to upgrade for long term reliability. I would invest in all new accessories and really have a brand new engine. Maybe even consider swapping to electric fans too.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what you are going after, that engine you from GM is the best deal out there..
I've been looking for a shortblock for my 94 gmc since I have alum heads already...
This engine has all the "tin", new roller cam, balancer, etc...
And NO core charge or core ******** return issues...
Go for it !!! .. A new water pump, Radiator, Thermostat & Housing is a must for sure.
The "spider" injection unit has been addressed in the aftermarket.. There is an updated
and improved spider unit that does not have the issues associated with the original design.

Also, Grab a new distributor- you don't need a GM one.. Plenty of high quality aftermarket
units. The dist gear meshes with the cam gear and oil pump so your original is pretty worn

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure this has been discussed to death, so if there is an appropriate link, please let me know.

I am the original owner of a 99 tahoe RWD that has 250K on it. It probably isn't worth $500 bucks now, but my wife and I would like to completely redo it...paint is going to cost me 4K and I'd like to get a new motor, rebuilt trans, driveshaft...and may need rebuilt rear axle. I'd like to keep motor and trans under 10k if possible. I know I will not get my money back out of this project. What I'm looking for:

1. I want something completely reliable, that we can go anywhere in and is problem free for 150-200k
2. I want something that gets good gas mileage...at least as good as the original motor which was probably 15 mpg on the highway.
3. I want something drop in. I replaced the intake with felpro gaskets once...but would prefer something new...I want all new fuel injection system and not use existing.

So If you had 10K to spend on Motor and Trans...what would you do? Im looking at:

Would I be better off getting a RAMJET 350? I've read many different things on MPG all over the place.
A recommendation on transmission would be nice as well.

Really would like to order motor and transmission complete so I can just drop in on a weekend.

Thanks,
Hank

$10K to spend, reliable, good gas mileage, all-new fuel injection... I'd LS-swap it! Not technically "drop-in", but can be with any of the many offerings to make it so. More reliable, more efficient, more power, far fewer failure points and cleaner (fewer leak potentials).

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about a GM HT383E ?

Last edited:

Bill K

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If it was me I would get the GM engine along with a GM reman transmission and keep driving. My 99 has about 270K miles on it and other than using a little oil is runs just about as good as the day I bought it new. I honestly do not see any need to replace the fuel injection system either.

There is no way you will do an LS swap with trans for 10k and personally I don't think its worth the trouble.

My 99 is 4WD and has consistently gotten 20 mpg on the open road. Last long trip we took was from Md to Chicago for a wedding 2 years ago and it got 21. I dont see any reason to mess with it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Because I have used them many times over the years, I recommend Jasper Engines and Transmissions. They can send you the engine, trans and rear axle too. They can build the engine stock or to your specs. They also have kits that they can supply that would include things like new throttle body and sensors and water pump...etc.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
H

hank89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for all of the replies and great info! I had posted this under General Discussion and did not see any replies...I did not see it had been moved to Engine & Drivetrain (where I should have posted it!)

I think I am leaning to the new GM motor and Gm rebuilt tranny.

Question - on the updated spider injection that changed to MPFI...Will that help any with MPG? I have read that it will run better than the original design. Does it produce more HP?

Could you provide a link to the best spider injection upgrade that I should get?

Also, I've read about the Marine Intake. Should I get that as well? Could you provide a link for the Marine Intake Manifold if I should get that as well?

Also, Can I run the old Green Coolant with my new motor? My original motor has drank antifreeze for years and I think i remember reading it was due to the old dexcool. Not sure if that is true or not...I replaced the intake manifold gaskets twice in 200k miles.

Thanks,
Hank