Best budget upgrades on a 5.3L rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Third alt is down below, yes. Right now the third alt is a dummy, essentially - it's not hooked up, just there as a placeholder for the belt. My electrical system is totally stock with the 145A alt for the truck and batt, then the stereo system runs off the 300A Ohio Generator alt in the #2 position with an Odyssey AGM battery on the pass side of the engine compartment. If I delete my factory airbox and go with a downtube for air intake, I may put a 3rd battery in that spot.

Bro.... with all that gear I have to ask ...Is your Tahoe squatted?
Are you one of those popping clutches guys? I love that channel.
I can't understand half of what they say, must be an Alabama thing.
But they love Tahoes and I love that channel.
I left my Tahoe a 1/2" squatted in honor of them.

Check out this guys bumping sound system.
Tahoe Z71 lifted 10 inches 26x14 | For Sale LOUD MUSIC | BDS lift | Lifted Trucks | Squatted Trucks - YouTube

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I was just trying to give you cheap way of getting a printout and an AFR reading....
Out west here is usually 2 pulls for $25 bucks as opposed to individual schedule which is $200 for a few pulls.

You should get some of these
Then the Raptors will tremble...LOL
View attachment 274998
I wish there were cheap dyno days like that around me.
Those emblems are nice, but I'm a sleeper kind of guy. I've told people it has a 4.8 with a leaky exhaust lol.

OP
OP
tRidiot

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bro.... with all that gear I have to ask ...Is your Tahoe squatted?
Are you one of those popping clutches guys? I love that channel.
I can't understand half of what they say, must be an Alabama thing.
But they love Tahoes and I love that channel.
I left my Tahoe a 1/2" squatted in honor of them.

Check out this guys bumping sound system.
Tahoe Z71 lifted 10 inches 26x14 | For Sale LOUD MUSIC | BDS lift | Lifted Trucks | Squatted Trucks - YouTube

Squatted? Lowered? Nah, I'm on a very mild lift.

i-9QSQGwz-X2.jpg

OP
OP
tRidiot

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see now where the AutoZone complete remanufactured engine shows 706 heads.

I don't like that...

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup
Everything usually points to 6.0L most of the time. Been here before.
- Big heavy vehicle & Need to run small powerplant with 3 alternators
- Increased power while keeping everything else stock like engine, fuel system, intake, exhaust, computer and tune (stock from 6.0).
- Very reliable because of stock config
- 317 heads as opposed to 706 which are prone to cracking. Hard to specify 862s from production rebuilders
- Can buy long block and install quickly.
- Get Autozone Warranty (Nothing says install needs to be MY specific. As a matter of fast the warranty covers multiple classes of vehicles)
- Be in the Tonyrodz club....LOL, there is benefit here. You can follow his upgrades, avoids pitfalls and get free tunes...LOL

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I go with the 6.0 from AutoZone, I'm assuming it won't be warrantied, since it's not matching OEM - we all know it's BS, but my VIN wasn't offered with a 6.0L. In fact, AutoZone's description says "Silverado SS only," I think.

Again... not a terrible thing.

As for boring my block to a 5.7, I'm not sure what that means, honestly, how do I tell the rebuilder that? And I would definitely need new pistons, new cam, too? Definitely a new tune, etc.? I don't know how to go about that. I mean I'm not even in touch with the guy who would be doing the rebuilding, he's 60 miles away, the guy doing my pull & replace would be the one talking to him about it.

I wanted to do the LQ9 6.0L anyways, I was looking at them on Ebay and from my understanding it's a direct drop-in, bolts right up, same external everything. So it's BS the warranty would be void, I think.

<edit> 243 are the same as 799 and are from the L33 engine, right?

Looking at Ebay, a good set of those would run like $500-700 probably, I think.

<edit2> In addition I just thought, part of the problem with doing a 6.0 swap was that I would need a new computer, I think, right? None of the Ebay motors I could find came WITH the computer, and I don't know that my computer can be reprogrammed for a 6.0L, can it? I mean I was thinking of sending it off to Black Bear for a reprogram anyways, but can they just upload a 6.0L profile to it?

Yes- 243 are the same as 799. There are different versions of the 243, but this is irrelevant in your case. I'd look for 799s from a Gen4 truck engine. Even though they're the same as the 243, they don't have the elite following and tend to be cheaper. I often see them in my area for $300-$400 depending on condition and mileage.

You wouldn't need a new computer, just a tune. It wouldn't be a custom tune if you had a "stock" 6.0, just the standard tune from a 6.0-equipped truck, so a tuner might cut you a deal on it. Black Bear can upload a 6.0 tune, stock or modified.

I like the LQ9. Just know you'd have to run premium for it. But, since you have the FlexFuel intake manifold, you could run E8. I wouldn't really consider this an option unless you know E85 will be available everywhere you drive it. You will need a custom tune because the FF injectors are larger than what the LQ9 tune is set up for.

OP
OP
tRidiot

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pretty much always run premium fuel anyways.

I don't know. Man, it seems the more I learn, the more I am confused. The extra power of a 6.0L would be nice, but the extra cost is a factor - especially since The Wife approved the purchase of my second RTX3090 which showed up today.

:pepper:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pretty much always run premium fuel anyways.

I don't know. Man, it seems the more I learn, the more I am confused. The extra power of a 6.0L would be nice, but the extra cost is a factor - especially since The Wife approved the purchase of my second RTX3090 which showed up today.

:pepper:

You gotta decide on exactly what you want and stick to it. Otherwise, you'll stay confused.

...$1,500+ on a GPU? So now we see where your priorities lie! I guess when you're tooling around in your stock, AutoZone-5.3-powered Tahoe, you'll still be happy cuz you know you have 230,987,457,892,309 of teragigabytehertz and 16K resolution waiting for you back at home. :p

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You gotta decide on exactly what you want and stick to it. Otherwise, you'll stay confused.

...$1,500+ on a GPU? So now we see where your priorities lie! I guess when you're tooling around in your stock, AutoZone-5.3-powered Tahoe, you'll still be happy cuz you know you have 230,987,457,892,309 of teragigabytehertz and 16K resolution waiting for you back at home. :p

LMFAO! So True....Priorties are key.....Gaming! Unless you're mining BTC

AutoZone Powered Tahoe......LOL

OP
OP
tRidiot

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well I do spend a shiteload more time on my computer than in my truck...

<edit> Actually my plan was Ebay, to help fund my engine. Now I am 'debating' about keeping it for my mining rig. Not sure yet. Can sell off a 2070 Super to offset some of the cost and it should pay for itself in about 4 months in that scenario. And it wasn't $1500, or I'd have bought 2. lol

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak