Bearing clearance.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denalibro76

Reaction score
Hey everyone. My apologies if this is a stupid question but I’m rebuilding my LQ4 and I’m at a roadblock concerning the main and rod bearings. I’m not building a high HP/RPM motor, just rebuilding. Can I just use stock OE replacement bearings? The old bearings looked great and the crank looks the same. I’m trying to keep this as budget friendly as I can.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. My apologies if this is a stupid question but I’m rebuilding my LQ4 and I’m at a roadblock concerning the main and rod bearings. I’m not building a high HP/RPM motor, just rebuilding. Can I just use stock OE replacement bearings? The old bearings looked great and the crank looks the same. I’m trying to keep this as budget friendly as I can.
You should be able to but I would always measure twice, use a micrometer and or plastigauge.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your diameter of your bearing journals of your crankshaft determine what size bearings need to be installed. If you slap an engine together without measuring bearing clearances and using the correct bearing sizes to give the proper clearance you will find out the hard way if you guessed wrong. The engine will not last much more than 100-500 miles before the failure appears and gets louder. Or you end up with a connecting rod peeking out the side of the engine block.

A high mileage engine should have the crankshaft at a minimum polished and checked over to make sure it is in spec.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the stock bearings looked great, I'd seriously consider reusing them (assuming you kept them in order).

Otherwise, you've already gotten good advice, except that I disagree about having to have your crank polished. If the bearing surfaces are all in good shape then there is no need. Plastigauge is a good tip. Time consuming, but it's one of those "buy once cry once"... You're buying peace of mind with time.

OP
OP
Denalibro76

Denalibro76

Reaction score
If the stock bearings looked great, I'd seriously consider reusing them (assuming you kept them in order).

Otherwise, you've already gotten good advice, except that I disagree about having to have your crank polished. If the bearing surfaces are all in good shape then there is no need. Plastigauge is a good tip. Time consuming, but it's one of those "buy once cry once"... You're buying peace of mind with time.
Yes. Everything was kept in ziplock bags in order. I guess I’m not sure why I need bearings. No issues with oil pressure or anything like that before I took it apart. Zero signs of abnormal wear on the bearings and crank

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Everything was kept in ziplock bags in order. I guess I’m not sure why I need bearings. No issues with oil pressure or anything like that before I took it apart. Zero signs of abnormal wear on the bearings and crank
It is important that you do not change the assignment of the bearing blocks to the bearings, but that the bearing blocks go back to where they were before. Unfortunately, I would still measure it with a plastic gauge to make sure they are all inside the tolerance.

OP
OP
Denalibro76

Denalibro76

Reaction score
Ok. Yeah I’ll try and track some down and check them. Thanks

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to ask but why the teardown? Just checking or a problem? I'm on the fence with reusing bearings, have to think about the "crush" that keeps them solidly in place.

OP
OP
Denalibro76

Denalibro76

Reaction score
Hate to ask but why the teardown? Just checking or a problem? I'm on the fence with reusing bearings, have to think about the "crush" that keeps them solidly in place.
I wanted to do a rebuild due to the high mileage. It started a top end tick and using a little oil. Putting a BTR trucknorris cam, springs, lifters, trays, pushrods. So I figured I’d do it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons