BCM rear access ajar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dtpgoose

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
THANK YOU for coming back and posting your answer to the problem! I had the same thing on an 03 YUKON XL and I unpluged the Purple connecter above the brake pedal and cleaned it and plugged it back on and so far so good. NO more Hatch Open Alert. Thanks again.

Wes
____________________________________________:)

UPDATE: I no longer get the 'rear access ajar' message. Let me explain what I did to solve the problem. I think most people would have just replaced the BCM but a simple fix is probably all that is needed.

As I stated earlier, I figured out that I had a connection issue under the dash from the wiring harness to the BCM. I left the purple connector unplugged for a day since I was tired of the alarm going off in the middle of the night. I thought this would be a good temporary fix but it did not prevent the message from re-appearing on the DIC.

At this point I knew the problem was in the BCM itself. I took the BCM out of the truck and opened up its plastic housing. I located the pin that is associated with the pink/black wire for the rear tailgate status from the door latch mechanisms. I tested the connection from the pin to the rest of the board with a multimeter and it showed a connection. Just for the hell of it, I put some extra solder on the connector to the BCM and the circuit board. I put everything back together and I haven't had any problems with the message for a week now. I do believe this issue if finally resolved for me. This may or may not work for others that have this problem.

Westonh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a solution guys! I read all of your posts and tried everything. The most frustrating part is that I bought a BCM from Ebay and had it programmed for $110 at the dealer only to get the same message!!!! I immediately assumed it was my switches. I took off the back door trim. There are three switches. One for the glass push button and then 2 on the bottom latches. Short them out and see if those are your issue first. I tested the pink/black wire on the purple wire connector at the back of the BCM and it was grounded. I thought it was a wire issue to the back of the door so I just cut it to see. I still received the rear access open message. That confirmed that the BCM was grounding out on that pin. I re-soldered the pins for the connector (all of them). I did this with both BCM's because I still had the old one. After doing this, BOTH of them work!! This can't be a coincidence. Be careful not to damage the tiny resistors next to the solder points. Carefully apply heat and remove heat immediately. I can't believe that I ripped my car apart for this. I should have just bought a new one on Ebay instead of going for the used one. It made me doubt everything. I'm out $200 but hey I have a backup.

Daniel Abbott

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
To everyone interested in a resolve that is free and simple for left rear door ajar. I have created a work around that solved my 2003 Tahoe with left rear door ajar issue.
Here is what I did for mine:
1. Remove the 2 drivers steering kick panel screws locate on the bottom of each lower side of kick panel. they take a 7mm socket.
2. gently remove kick panel, it helps to pop out the dash plastic cover by pulling it out with your hands(simple)
3. slide black heater duct toward the drivers door and let it hang by its retainer on the left side of brake pedal.
4. Look for purple connector on the REAR bottom of Body Control Module (BCM), grab connected and lightly sqeeze retainer and disconnect the connector so you can bring it toward you. Now, on this connector you will find A-2 and A3 wires A-2 is light green/black and this wire is the RIGHT REAR door ajar signal wire, A-3 is Light blue/Black and is the left rear door ajar signal wire. What I did was unravel the black factory loom tape so i had about 10 inches of the connector wires free. Take the Light green/black wire and about halfway down strip the wire(do not sever the wire, just bare the coating about 1/4 inch- do the same for the light blue/black wire. Now just locate the two stripped wires parallel to each other and twist both wires together as one connection(i will try to attach my picture), use some black electrical tape and cover the wires neatly and rewrap the connector wires again with black tape. What you have accomplished is, you have jumpered A-2 to A-3 and now the BCM is tricked into seeing a missing signal by piggybacking from the right rear signal wire.
After doing this, My doors lock and security alarm system functions, my interior lights no longer remain on while I am driving, and the left rear door ajar light in no longer popping up on my message center. I shut all my doors with engin running, opened the left rear door and the message comes on dash as it should, the only negative effect i have is when the right rear door is opened (ajar), the message center states the left rear door is ajar instead. Hey I can live with this no problem... This repair cost me no money, and 20 minutes time to resolve. Thank me later Cheers!resolved left rear door ajar.jpg