BB tune '17 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vinvin7716

Reaction score
Just installed my BB tune. Oh my goodness. This is how it should've been from factory. No more having to mash the throttle so it doesn't limp out of a stop. No more hunting for gears, just drives so much better now. Even if it doesn't make a ton of power the fact that the drivability is so much smoother is well worth it.

I'm running the tune on 93octane along with a gm catback. Not sure how much power it added. There's a chassis dyno maybe 3 miles from where I live but.. we'll see if I ever decide to make it there.

Whoever is on the fence of getting a BB tune, jump on it!

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed my BB tune. Oh my goodness. This is how it should've been from factory. No more having to mash the throttle so it doesn't limp out of a stop. No more hunting for gears, just drives so much better now. Even if it doesn't make a ton of power the fact that the drivability is so much smoother is well worth it.

I'm running the tune on 93octane along with a gm catback. Not sure how much power it added. There's a chassis dyno maybe 3 miles from where I live but.. we'll see if I ever decide to make it there.

Whoever is on the fence of getting a BB tune, jump on it!

Did you disable the AFM on your truck with this tune? Tahoe or Suburban? Stock wheels/tires? I'm interested to hear any more details you may be able to provide on this.

OP
OP
V

Vinvin7716

Reaction score
Did you disable the AFM on your truck with this tune? Tahoe or Suburban? Stock wheels/tires? I'm interested to hear any more details you may be able to provide on this.

It's a z71 midnight tahoe. Took out the afm. Car def feels much better and more enjoyable to drive. Ask away. Dunno much else to mention.

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a z71 midnight tahoe. Took out the afm. Car def feels much better and more enjoyable to drive. Ask away. Dunno much else to mention.

Good to hear, thanks for the info. I'm going to be doing the BB or one of the handhelds on the vehicle I am purchasing soon. Disabling AFM, changing tire size in the computer are both a must have. I'd love to eliminate or greatly reduce the hunting for gears and frequent shifting that these 5.3/6sp are known for also, and a torque management reduction would be nice also. I'm looking to continue to run regular/87 octane gas in the truck. Basically I'm not looking at HP/tq increases, just modifying the items mentioned and if that offers a small gain in power, that's even better.

The prior year versions (2014-2016) of Diablo and Hypertech did most everything I mentioned above, and I'm not sure about Superchips. Although superchips is the only one currently, aside from black bear, that offers anything for the 2017 GM suv's.

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the 5.3 compression, you should really be running at least 89 octane.

Sent from my fone.

I wasn't aware of that. I've only run 87 from top tier certified stations on my 5.3's in the past, as I was under the impression that GM recommended that octane for the 5.3. Will have to see how the SUV does with 87 once I take delivery.

RThomasII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the 5.3 compression, you should really be running at least 89 octane.

Sent from my fone.

So in my bone stock (no tune, no mods) Tahoe LTZ you are saying the engine will perform better with 89 octane gas or better? Just want to make sure I understand the proper context of the comment above.

Thanks!

Stanky

Reaction score
Okay so bear with me as I'm clearly a newbie. I'm very interested in this tune. Sometimes I feel like my truck is lagging when switching gears and as I read above, this tune should fix that. Would this also stop the tremors when I'm in park and in drive when I'm at a complete stop at an intersection?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mont