Battery tray warping.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased a new ACDelco battery tray hoping it would resolve a loose battery hold down issue.

As it turns out tightening the battery tray hold down bolt to the recommended torque results in warping the underlying nut weld.

This inevitably results in the battery becoming loose again in the tray.

Can anyone shine some light on this?

Last edited:

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's odd... On our 2002 Yukon, the battery tray is metal. I have never found a torque spec for the hold down but tighten it until the battery doesn't move but not so tight that it warps a battery. The only thing that warps with over-tightening is the battery itself. Do you have a plastic tray? Is your hold down plastic?

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I don't even have a hold down. My battery just sits on the tray.

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I don't even have a hold down. My battery just sits on the tray.

100% sure you have a wedge shaped hold down with a bolt.

Earlier versions (such as with my 2003 GMC Sonoma) had a wedge shaped metal washer that kept the bolt from compressing the wedge plastic piece.

I bought one of them but it didn't help. I will take my battery tray out and show you all. My battery is held down to an extent but it still is loose and slides around.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may not be sure what everyone is talking about, but if I did have a hold down the PO took it out. All I have now is the tray the battery sits on and the batteries own weight holds it there.

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's not good. Besides the safety factor here....the battery hold down is also there so it doesn't move around unnecessarily. Unless you have a gel cell or AGM...battery life can be negatively affected with too much vibration.