Battery Tenders-Anyone use them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! That was me!

Ive got the battery minder 1510 for my Tahoe. Can get them on sale often from northern tool. Recently got a noco genius 5 and a couple of noco to sae adapters to be able to use the 25’ extension cables I have for my battery minders, battery tenders and optimate chargers for all my motorized machines.

As an addict, we do stupid stuff on social media, so I may have posted a pic of all my drugs……

I mean battery support products. Lol
I knew you'd show up sooner or later! LOL

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an Optima Digital Battery tender on my Trans Am. This tender is good for standard and AGM batteries I bought the battery for the TA in July 05, an Optima Yellow top. Yes the battery in the TA is 16 year old and it starts every time, even after not running the car for months on end.

Spend the money on a good tender.

You probably got one of the last GOOD batteries from Optima.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You probably got one of the last GOOD batteries from Optima.
Nah, that ones 16 years old. Optimal only started getting lousy a few years ago. Something changed. Did they get bought out?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah, that ones 16 years old. Optimal only started getting lousy a few years ago. Something changed. Did they get bought out?

I thought their decline started well over a decade ago. As far as what actually happened- I have no idea. Probably the typical outsourcing to increase profit margin.

muncie21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard the same rumors about the decline in Optima battery quality. What I heard is the manufacturing (or a potion of it) was transferred to Mexico and after this the customer complaints rose significantly.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First I am hearing of their quality dropping. I put a red top in my Suburban a few years back when the AC Delco battery was seemingly giving me an issue. No issues since.

ATX 14

Reaction score
I use a battery tender for my 2008 JKU Jeep Wrangler, 2017 4Runner TRD Premium and my 2016 PPV Tahoe. I have a work vehicle that I drive the vast majority of the time and all of my vehicles sit for a weeks at a time. I do start them and drive them when I can but my Jeep and 4Runner have AGM batteries so they need a tender. The alternator does not fully charge an AGM battery. My PPV 2016 Tahoe only has 24,500'ish miles on it. I have been very happy with the Schumacher SC1339 battery tender.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Battery Tenders on 3 bikes and a car, all of which sleep through 6 months. All of the batteries are reliable and older than I can remember. The bikes have a mix of conventional and AGM batteries and the car is conventional. The car's Walmart battery is going for the record in that car.

jwth

Reaction score
retired now and the yukon sits for long times. lost the 2 year old battery in the very cold winter, once was enough.
been using a battery tender since and am glad it is there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518