Battery Supply

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be storing one of my vehicles long term in a drive in storage space which doesn't have a power outlet in which to plug in a trickle charger, nor the ability to run a cable to a solar charger outside. The vehicle would sometimes sit for 3 or 4 months at a time. I know I could get one of these compact jumpers but I'd rather not have the battery completely drain four times a year.

Is there such a thing as a battery powered supply that stores enough juice to feed a trickle charger for up to four months?

Thanks

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have any answers, but why not just disconnect the battery?

It resets all the settings, including engine/idle management, fuel strategy, and a bunch of other things I would like to avoid.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bugout vehicle storage?

If you had a battery with the capacity to feed a trickle charger to keep another battery charged over 3-4 months, then you cold just use that high-capacity battery as the starting battery in the first place. Can you use a deep cycle battery (or batteries) in this vehicle? You'd have to do the math and get the reasonably "largest" battery (capacity- not so much physical dimensions), but 3-4 months is pushing it for most anything. Temperature of storage place is an important factor as well.

I'd get two of the highest capacity sealed deep-cycle batteries that I could fit in the truck (custom tray/hold-downs will likely be needed), cycle them (discharge to around 50% then recharge then repeat) about 50 times to get them to their rated capacity, then park the vehicle with one of the batteries disconnected using disconnect switches for convenience/safety. The current draw of the electronics will determine how long the battery will supply enough power for them to keep their memory(ies). Hopefully the second battery that was left disconnected will still have enough ass to start the engine.

Upon startup, you'd have to assume the first "memory" battery is too low to start the truck. So, before even pressing the unlock button on the key fob, connect the second battery by engaging it's switch, then disconnect the first battery by disengaging it's switch, then try to start it. If all is well, re-engage the first battery switch so it can be charged by the alternator.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be storing one of my vehicles long term in a drive in storage space which doesn't have a power outlet in which to plug in a trickle charger, nor the ability to run a cable to a solar charger outside. The vehicle would sometimes sit for 3 or 4 months at a time. I know I could get one of these compact jumpers but I'd rather not have the battery completely drain four times a year.

Is there such a thing as a battery powered supply that stores enough juice to feed a trickle charger for up to four months?

Thanks
if you can afford it-viper alarm with autostart & cellular module, this works anywhere there is cellular service, then you have a app on your phone and you can park it full of gas and set a reminder to autostart it once a week or once every two weeks, the timer will run 10 minutes each time, so say you ran it twice back to back every 2 weeks it would keep the battery charged and it wouldn't burn up a tank of fuel for quit some time.
I think optionally if you have onstar and just subscribe and if it were parked where it has a onstar signal you could do the same thing with the onstar app

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you can afford it-viper alarm with autostart & cellular module, this works anywhere there is cellular service, then you have a app on your phone and you can park it full of gas and set a reminder to autostart it once a week or once every two weeks, the timer will run 10 minutes each time, so say you ran it twice back to back every 2 weeks it would keep the battery charged and it wouldn't burn up a tank of fuel for quit some time.
I think optionally if you have onstar and just subscribe and if it were parked where it has a onstar signal you could do the same thing with the onstar app

But- exhaust fumes. If he had a way to vent the fumes, then he should have a way to get a solar charger connected.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It resets all the settings, including engine/idle management, fuel strategy, and a bunch of other things I would like to avoid.

It does reset all the settings, but you are better off taking the battery out (or at least disconnecting it). I store a few cars a similar way and I just take the battery out and take it with me. I store them in my garage and hook up a trickle charger to them often.

It's a pain, but less than trying to jump-start a dead battery. Batteries last longer, too.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But- exhaust fumes. If he had a way to vent the fumes, then he should have a way to get a solar charger connected.
ya I considered that also but if it's in long term storage there probably isn't going to be anybody around to smell any fumes.

rzabel

Reaction score
How long should a battery last when left connected? One week, one month? When should I be putting a trickle charger on it or alternatively, when should I be looking for a parasitic drain? Mine only lasted two weeks recently and I wondered if that was to be expected.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be at least a couple of months. Three is pushing it. Some batteries sit on the shelves at auto parts stores for a few months. They're supposed to maintain and rotate the stock, but people are lazy. Even connected in the truck, it should last longer than just two weeks. Again- cars sit on dealer lots for weeks at a time and they fire up just fine.