Battery drain and a new code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have verizon hum in my 97 Tahoe and it has reported low battery a lot over the last few months, but it's actually been fine and haven't had an issue starting it once.

Yesterday though, after being parked overnight (maybe for a day or two, not sure), I took 2 mile trip out to eat with my daughter. After an hour in the restaurant, when I tried to start it, it started to turn and then abruptly stopped. Didn't feel like a normal low battery in honesty, just sorta odd to me. Tried cranking it twice, then, after a few seconds of pause, the third time it started.

Then later in the day, the same thing happened, although it turned over on the second try that time. Neither time did I drive very far.

Then this morning I got a code p1361 (which I've never had on this truck) from hum, about a half hour before I tried to start it. It kinda did the same thing this time when I tried to start it, although this time it was worse and basically completely dead. I put one of those portable jump starters on it and it wouldn't start right off, but started after about a half minute.

This time, everything went completely dead - clock reset, the whole 9 yards. Then I drove my daughter to school and watched the volt gauge on the dashboard. Normally, it's a shade past 14v, but today it was below it at times. After I got home (about 10-15 minutes of running at this point). I shut it off and it started right back up. I let it run for a while again after that and everything seemed fine, although it still tops out at 14v.

So could the battery issues be what caused the P1361? Or vice versa? How much of this makes sense to anyone and what sounds like it might be the root cause or causes? The starter and alternator are both relatively new (last 5 years-ish?), but I don't know that it's either of them anyway.

Any sage advice will be greatly appreciated!!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have verizon hum in my 97 Tahoe and it has reported low battery a lot over the last few months, but it's actually been fine and haven't had an issue starting it once.

Yesterday though, after being parked overnight (maybe for a day or two, not sure), I took 2 mile trip out to eat with my daughter. After an hour in the restaurant, when I tried to start it, it started to turn and then abruptly stopped. Didn't feel like a normal low battery in honesty, just sorta odd to me. Tried cranking it twice, then, after a few seconds of pause, the third time it started.

Then later in the day, the same thing happened, although it turned over on the second try that time. Neither time did I drive very far.

Then this morning I got a code p1361 (which I've never had on this truck) from hum, about a half hour before I tried to start it. It kinda did the same thing this time when I tried to start it, although this time it was worse and basically completely dead. I put one of those portable jump starters on it and it wouldn't start right off, but started after about a half minute.

This time, everything went completely dead - clock reset, the whole 9 yards. Then I drove my daughter to school and watched the volt gauge on the dashboard. Normally, it's a shade past 14v, but today it was below it at times. After I got home (about 10-15 minutes of running at this point). I shut it off and it started right back up. I let it run for a while again after that and everything seemed fine, although it still tops out at 14v.

So could the battery issues be what caused the P1361? Or vice versa? How much of this makes sense to anyone and what sounds like it might be the root cause or causes? The starter and alternator are both relatively new (last 5 years-ish?), but I don't know that it's either of them anyway.

Any sage advice will be greatly appreciated!!

I would start with the simple stuff.

How old is your battery? Alternator?

Get them both checked. Low voltage can cause a lot of goofy things to happen.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both alternator and battery were replaced in July of 16. Really not sure about the starter but it just doesn't seem to be a likely source to me.

The alternator was a remanufactured one from Autozone.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Closing the loop... All caused by the hum. Doesn't play nice with my truck.

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These trucks like to run at optimal voltage and not too far below. (Side note) A lot of research has led me to believe that low voltage/battery issues cause problems with the security system and will throw the security light and/or intermittent issues with VATS reset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davonlwilliams33