Barn doors locked and won't open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

laneo2494

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, so the barn door(s) on my brother's 98 Yukon wont open. The doors are closed and are currently stuck in the "lock" position and will not unlock/open when using the interior switch or the key fob. The key itself does not work either...I am able to insert the key but I am not able to turn it to unlock. So as you can see this presents a problem as it is a daily driver. I will spray some graphite lubricant in there tomorrow to see if I can get the key to work but if that doesn't resolve it what are my options? Has anyone had this problem before with their barn doors (or any doors)? Any help is appreciated

Ben

Supporting Member
Reaction score
had that happen to me once on my old hoe with barn doors, the actuator rod came off the door handle...

OP
OP
L

laneo2494

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I figured as much. Any idea how to get it open though? Are you able to take the interior panel off with the door closed? Can't picture it right now

Ben

Supporting Member
Reaction score
take the panel off the inside of the door idk how your gonna get it open from the inside

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crawl in back and remove lower carpeted panel of passenger side barn door.
Follow the connecting rod to where it attaches(or should have been attached) to the outside handle and activate by hand.
Its not that ucommon or that hard to do.
Lube up that lock mechanism and clean up the electric contacts(use emory cloth) on the top corner of the door once you do get it opened.
Also apply some dielectric grease to keep the contacts from corroding.
Tbruz

Green monster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same problem with my Hoe, climb in back remove the door panel and you should be able to unlock the doors. On my Hoe it turned out to be the actuator and not the rod.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the actuators repairable or do they need to be replaced. Mine is only clicking but not moving the lock at all. A new Dorman unit from AutoZone is only $50. It looks like the previous owner had trouble with it before because the plastic covering was peeled back in that corner.

McDermut

Reaction score
Hi all, so the barn door(s) on my brother's 98 Yukon wont open. The doors are closed and are currently stuck in the "lock" position and will not unlock/open when using the interior switch or the key fob. The key itself does not work either...I am able to insert the key but I am not able to turn it to unlock. So as you can see this presents a problem as it is a daily driver. I will spray some graphite lubricant in there tomorrow to see if I can get the key to work but if that doesn't resolve it what are my options? Has anyone had this problem before with their barn doors (or any doors)? Any help is appreciated

had that happen to me once on my old hoe with barn doors, the actuator rod came off the door handle...

Crawl in back and remove lower carpeted panel of passenger side barn door.
Follow the connecting rod to where it attaches(or should have been attached) to the outside handle and activate by hand.
Its not that ucommon or that hard to do.
Lube up that lock mechanism and clean up the electric contacts(use emory cloth) on the top corner of the door once you do get it opened.
Also apply some dielectric grease to keep the contacts from corroding.
Tbruz

Had the same problem with my Hoe, climb in back remove the door panel and you should be able to unlock the doors. On my Hoe it turned out to be the actuator and not the rod.

I just had the same exact same thing happen to my '99 Yukon's barn doors the other day. There's no resistance when you pull the handle up and the click you usually hear and feel is gone. Is there any more advice on fixing this issue? What I've read here is great I'm just bringing the thread back up to date.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt