Ball Joints and Sway Bar links

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Curious, why did you go with two different brands of tie rods?

The tie rod bellows are of varying qualities; the GM OE stuff the best and uses the proper clamps to keep the boot waterproof.
I don't think the GM inners come with new bellows, only new clamps

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said you replaced the rear shocks also. I think there's a wire harness/connector near where the upper shock bolt goes on the back side of the frame. This sometimes gets disconnected when removing that shock bolt.

There is, on top of the frame, almost right in line with the bolt head. If you even so much as think of removing that bolt, the connector comes unplugged.

*EDIT* I see this was covered a few posts later.

Reaction score
There is, on top of the frame, almost right in line with the bolt head. If you even so much as think of removing that bolt, the connector comes unplugged.

When I replaced my rear shocks a couple years ago I didn't have a problem with that connector coming unplugged.

The shock instructions did warn about it though, and many people on here have had the problem, so I went into the job aware of it and was just careful when messing with that top bolt. Using the correct combination of socket and extention might have helped also.

OP
OP
MarshMarlowe

MarshMarlowe

Reaction score

It's amazing that the connector doesn't just jiggle loose on its own

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I replaced my rear shocks a couple years ago I didn't have a problem with that connector coming unplugged.

The shock instructions did warn about it though, and many people on here have had the problem, so I went into the job aware of it and was just careful when messing with that top bolt. Using the correct combination of socket and extention might have helped also.

Show off. :p

I knew about it and still knocked it loose during my lowering job. Of course, I used an impact fed by a 3/8" hose from a 60-gallon compressor at 150 psi and immediately went WOT to vehemently release all of its ugga duggas on that bolt. Because wrench monkey.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarshMarlowe

MarshMarlowe

Reaction score
Hey again everyone. I just got the Tahoe back from the shop

They did an alignment and an AC diagnosis. They found the AC held pressure, but it had just under a pound of freon, so they recharged it. All seems well now

I'm not sure how long the ball joints, tie rods, Sway Bar links, and shocks were bad, but the truck feels better than ever now. It used to handle like a covered wagon hauling a bathtub half full of water, but now it's so stable on the road.

Man what a difference

Thanks again for all your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442