Ball Joint Suggestions?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
I need to do my front upper and especially lower ball joints. I am wondering what brand people have used on there tahoes before that they would suggest. I know Moog and Mevotech are great brands, but pricey, and I know, you get what you pay for some times. But just wondering if anybody has used "off" brand ball joints with success/longevity and no problems. I think I may just go with Mevotechs, just cause I've heard good things from my mechanic and I am lowered with 20's, so.... Need to make sure they last.

If anybody has any suggestions, much appreciated. thanks

SQNALI

Reaction score
As a full time tech in the shop, I recommend MOOG or TRW. I have done hundreds of ball joints as Im a Master Cert suspension/alignment. I have replaced 2 tie rods/idler/pitman/and both lower ball joints on my own personal vehicle with MOOG. The biggest gain is that the Moog joints have grease fittings. Greasable=longer lasting IF YOU KEEP THEM GREASED. Hope this helps!!

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it comes to parts like wheel bearings and balls joints etc I always get the best parts.

It`s not that big of a difference in price and the fact that they last longer equals less money you have to spend getting them replaced again. unless you do the work yourself but it`s a pain in the ass doing the job.

OP
OP
WHITEOUT

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
thank you guys so much, appreciate the little bit of info. Ya, I have also heard REALLY good things about MOOG also, and was either going them or Mevotech, cause again, like I said, get what you pay for. And like Sasquatch said, don't skip on vital parts that hold your life in them. Good to know the Moogs have grease fittings. thanks for the info guys, swaying my decision.

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

As a full time tech in the shop, I recommend MOOG or TRW. I have done hundreds of ball joints as Im a Master Cert suspension/alignment. I have replaced 2 tie rods/idler/pitman/and both lower ball joints on my own personal vehicle with MOOG. The biggest gain is that the Moog joints have grease fittings. Greasable=longer lasting IF YOU KEEP THEM GREASED. Hope this helps!!

Let me ask you a question then. My lower ball joints are bad, need to be replaced now!! But my uppers look great. Should I get my uppers replaced while I'm at it?? I am for sure gonna do my lowers cause they need it, but don't think my uppers need to be replaced yet, but just wondering if I should just wait till they need replaced or do it now????? I know your most likely gonna say do it all at once. But.... Don't fix it unless it's broke kinda thing also. Any advice would be great. thanks

SQNALI

Reaction score
When doing certain jobs there can be overlap of labor time which is why some people recommend doing certain repairs "while your there". In the case of ball joints on an IFS vehicle--NO--The lower ball joint will wear out faster as it is the "load bearing" joint on the front suspension - the entire weight of that corner of the truck is riding on that joint. The UPPER joint however is simply a "follower" or "non-load bearing" joint. It only keeps the steering knuckle solid in its range of movement. If the upper joint isnt loose then I wouldnt replace it. Dont fix somethin that aint broke. And there is no saved labor time by doing both upper and lower at the same time.

I have seen upper ball joints survive to 150k+ miles -- just pay attention to tire wear and keep em rotated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts