Bad rear or tranny??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben Solo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey there, I gotta 04 Tahoe and yesterday I went to reverse and it went about a foot then just abruptly stopped. Felt like I hit something, but no. I put it in drive and it went a few feet with little grinding noise.
But I managed to get home. Very ruff ride. Bit as o right now, it seems like gears maybe loct up on rear end? Not sure but I'm bout to drain and fill rear and transfer case.
Any thoughts? I'd really, really appreciate it, bro. Lmk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If the rear gears are damaged, you will see that when you remove the cover to drain. Do that first. I am not expecting that though because if was damaged enough to lock up and cause you to stop while in reverse, I would assume that it would do the same driving home in drive. Likely something in the trans but it is just a guess. Need to look at trans fluid and rear diff and supply pics of fluid and inside of diff.

Last edited:

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Hey there, I gotta 04 Tahoe and yesterday I went to reverse and it went about a foot then just abruptly stopped. Felt like I hit something, but no. I put it in drive and it went a few feet with little grinding noise.
But I managed to get home. Very ruff ride. Bit as o right now, it seems like gears maybe loct up on rear end? Not sure but I'm bout to drain and fill rear and transfer case.
Any thoughts? I'd really, really appreciate it, bro. Lmk
I would get all 4 wheels off the ground-jack stands.put it in 4 wd and find the noise before i turned a wrench.With noises like that your tearing something apart just find the noise first.Also something simple could be the parking brake shoes-ask me how i know about that-almost left me stranded 50 miles from home towing a boat.

OP
OP
Ben Solo

Ben Solo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would get all 4 wheels off the ground-jack stands.put it in 4 wd and find the noise before i turned a wrench.With noises like that your tearing something apart just find the noise first.Also something simple could be the parking brake shoes-ask me how i know about that-almost left me stranded 50 miles from home towing a boat.
Found out the rear driver side caliper was missing the bottom bolt somehow. So when I'd reversed it would flip up and make the wheel stop completely. But when I go forward, it'd go bacc in place. So I just replaced the bolt and all done. That was too easy, so of course, something else messes up! But yeah.. Thanx!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk about a lucky break! Love a cheap and easy fix! I have not followed this particular piece of advice myself, after recently purchased and 04 Z71, but you probably still want to do fluid changes in the diff and transfer case at some point...
Mine was well cared for by 2-owners and they kept up on mechanicals. I'll get to it, but not in a rush. Winter is here. Probably not until spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore