Bad crunchy chain slapping sound on occasion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't checked hubs yet, but I gotta say I've never had a hub failure sound so violent before lol

It also doesn't sound like it grinds when I turn the wheel a certain direction when turning like other bearing failures.

So I guess that's why I haven't looked at that yet. And last time I had the front lifted I didn't feel any play in the wheel
It was for me as well the first time with this noise. On other cars I had a singing or grinding noise, here i had only once a crushing loud noise and after 2 minutes, like nothing happened. Two days later, the same. And funny it startet one day after I changed the oil of the front differential. So in the first moment I thought i made a mistake there...

So I took the car on my lift again. I turnt the wheel but there where no noise or strange feeling. But because I had traction control messages additional sometimes, i thought it must be the wheel bearing and disassembled it and saw the mess.

That was the wheel bearing. You can see the roll which is rotate in the wrong direction.

Attachments

• 20230207_162306.JPG
    20230207_162306.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
N

Nicolai8775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was for me as well the first time with this noise. On other cars I had a singing or grinding noise, here i had only once a crushing loud noise and after 2 minutes, like nothing happened. Two days later, the same. And funny it startet one day after I changed the oil of the front differential. So in the first moment I thought i made a mistake there...

So I took the car on my lift again. I turnt the wheel but there where no noise or strange feeling. But because I had traction control messages additional sometimes, i thought it must be the wheel bearing and disassembled it and saw the mess.

That was the wheel bearing. You can see the roll which is rotate in the wrong direction.
Hmmm, man.. now that you're saying all this. Truck does feel kinda shaky at highway speeds. I wonder if my wheel is about to fall off

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, man.. now that you're saying all this. Truck does feel kinda shaky at highway speeds. I wonder if my wheel is about to fall off
Until you loose the wheel a lot can happen, because the wheel bearing is secured with the drive shaft, if you have a 4wd. But I would check that fast.

The wheel bearing hub is disassembled in 30 minutes with the right tools.

OP
OP
N

Nicolai8775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Until you loose the wheel a lot can happen, because the wheel bearing is secured with the drive shaft, if you have a 4wd. But I would check that fast.

The wheel bearing hub is disassembled in 30 minutes with the right tools.
Yeah I got the tools but my brother never returned my floor jack, gonna have to go find it lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonawhie61989