Bad brake grinding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

optimusprime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
08 Yukon XL Denali. Replaced my brakes and rotors probably a year and a half ago with Duralast Gold Ceramic pads and corresponding rotors. I've noticed that my stops have been increasingly spongier. Several times I have noticed stops coming from down a hill have resulted in a really sharp grinding sound. I replicated it today several times with some heavy braking. There is no wobble or shutter but the grinding noise is awful. Ideas? We don't ride the brakes hard and haven't put that many miles on them.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
08 Yukon XL Denali. Replaced my brakes and rotors probably a year and a half ago with Duralast Gold Ceramic pads and corresponding rotors. I've noticed that my stops have been increasingly spongier. Several times I have noticed stops coming from down a hill have resulted in a really sharp grinding sound. I replicated it today several times with some heavy braking. There is no wobble or shutter but the grinding noise is awful. Ideas? We don't ride the brakes hard and haven't put that many miles on them.
Check your rotors for any signs of uneven wear. Might have a caliper hanging up.

Gannon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check your rotors, replaced wife’s on hers like a year ago. She kept saying her sounding like squealing, for what ever reason back passenger was in bad shape. Replaced pads and rotor, good to go. [emoji2369]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Replaced all 4 corners? Could the other half of the system be on its last leg?

Doesn’t make sense unless it’s a caliper pin(s) hung up to cause a glazed rotor from excessive heat and friction. I know running OE compound brake pads leaves a mess on the rims and rotors.

The cure we found was ceramic pads and degassing the rotors with slotted / countersunk x drilled discs to run them cooler. That same design sweeps brake material off the face each revolution.

These trucks are under braked and prone to thermal failure issues with certain driving styles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

outsidemike

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
as per the grinding noise, the other posts are good info, but check your wheel bearings too. excess bearing movement can cause brake noise issues.

as for the spungyness, id initially treat it as seperate problem from the noise. (though ive seen many stuck calipers that also leak)
check all brakes lines, line fittings, calipers, and master cylinder for any signs of leakage, even just slight oilyness,
bleed out all the lines, if it firms up but only temperarily likely a leak somewhere.

OP
OP
O

optimusprime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I went out last night and got the necessary tools to do my brakes and rotors/calipers. I’ll let you know what I find. And yes, I replaced the pads and rotors on all 4 corners. Vehicle has 150,000 miles so it might be a good time to just flat out replace the calipers anyways.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I went out last night and got the necessary tools to do my brakes and rotors/calipers. I’ll let you know what I find. And yes, I replaced the pads and rotors on all 4 corners. Vehicle has 150,000 miles so it might be a good time to just flat out replace the calipers anyways.

I've had poor luck with Duralast Gold pads. They claim they're ceramic but seem to be made out of pureed spinach leaves bonded with Elmers glue. I put a set on the rear of my G35 along with new calipers and rotors, and the pads lasted 10K miles. The originals went 100K. Yes, they replace them for free, but I didn't want to do my brakes every year. My money is on your pads being worn out already. If so, get a good set of Akebonos. They literally invented ceramic pads.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the duralast gold is there bottom of the bucket line, go with the "max" or "elite", they could be worn out or you could have a stuck caliper and it ground one down to metal already. like others said you will have to get in there and take a look to be sure. I haven't had very good luck with nnbs calipers I have been thru 2 sets in the last 3 years, a couple were leaking and one was sticking, now on the current set the slidebolt boots are all cracked up, there working but I am going to try a set of the powerstop rebuilt ones and see how long they last.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stuck brake caliper was the culprit on my 07 factory calipers. It pulled left under heavy braking so I changed both. The pad on the inboard side was much thinner than the outboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kns0517