Backup camera quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha... It's not apples to apples - thus is why I provided the FYI. And what's not a 2015? My truck? LOL It's 2015 Tahoe LS.

At any rate, sorry for posting... I've removed the picture comparisons.

Perhaps someone with an OEM camera can do the test?

Where did you mount your camera? Same location as the OEM?

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to remove and mount in place of the OEM, but it turns out that the camera sits within a big piece of plastic - the cam itself can't be removed without some serious mods. I ended up mounting it just to the right of the OEM cam.

IMG_2520.JPG

Joe Winkler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've noticed some people complaining about their backup cameras but I'm not sure if mine is worse. I came from an Acadia Denali which actually had very good image quality. I tried cleaning the lens but that didn't help at all. Do I have a faulty camera? Please see the attached image, I know it's at night but I promise you the daytime image isn't much better.

View attachment 59285
I very much agree about the backup camera video quality... I have a 2016 Yukon XL and the first thing I noticed was the backup camera quality.
I found an aftermarket one, with the same harness connector and housing.
It was somewhat easy to install... the retaining clips that hold the plastic molding are kind of a pain to remove... but after unclipping about 7 or 8 of them
I could get access to the camera & connector... It was plug and play. I think the camera quality is somewhat better and the field of view is a little better, as well.
See pictures of the OEM camera and the aftermarket one... Let me know what you all think.
Aftermarket camera: Master Tailgaters part # MC-GESTY15OE (Fitments Suburban, Tahoe, Escalade 15-19 / Yukon, Denali (15-18)IMG_2820.jpg IMG_2821.jpg

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
part of the issue is a ground loop that is what the noise or red dots or noise in the video is. for yours

this is from a NNBS before and after cleaning the camera

the oem camera is only 480I at best

before clean.jpg before.jpg after clean.jpg after.jpg

Last edited:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here is a night time shot

20191215_180149.jpg

as you can see there is no noise on the image it's just shit quality 360p at the most

cmarshack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I very much agree about the backup camera video quality... I have a 2016 Yukon XL and the first thing I noticed was the backup camera quality.
I found an aftermarket one, with the same harness connector and housing.
It was somewhat easy to install... the retaining clips that hold the plastic molding are kind of a pain to remove... but after unclipping about 7 or 8 of them
I could get access to the camera & connector... It was plug and play. I think the camera quality is somewhat better and the field of view is a little better, as well.
See pictures of the OEM camera and the aftermarket one... Let me know what you all think.
Aftermarket camera: Master Tailgaters part # MC-GESTY15OE (Fitments Suburban, Tahoe, Escalade 15-19 / Yukon, Denali (15-18)View attachment 236589 View attachment 236590

How is the new camera at night? Any improvement over OEM? Any pics you can share?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium