Backup camera quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonBradley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've noticed some people complaining about their backup cameras but I'm not sure if mine is worse. I came from an Acadia Denali which actually had very good image quality. I tried cleaning the lens but that didn't help at all. Do I have a faulty camera? Please see the attached image, I know it's at night but I promise you the daytime image isn't much better.

IMG_20160209_184910.jpg

TOYSTRY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They suck.....I started a post about this the other day as well. My Lexus RCF has crystal clear backup camera on it.

LGSONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed this tonight backing into the drive... The camera I added to my wife's '15 Cherokee is better than this one and it was less than 100 bucks... Need to find an exploded view of the back hatch to see what is possible for an upgrade.

LGSONE

OP
OP
Y

YukonBradley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My mini cooper has a better backup camera. I just found it hard to believe that my 2013 Acadia had a far superior camera to my 2016 Yukon, how could GM go backwards. I swear it's more confusing looking at the distorted, blurry image than it is looking in the mirrors.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the image quality on my 13 suburban was better than the new cameras too. I added some better backup bulbs thinking the would help. Not much help

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang my $20 camera is better than your $70,000 camera... Something's not right here.

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, do you guys see a big difference in image quality between day vs. night? I upgraded my back-up camera, and even though it's a better camera compared to the OEM, it's still not great in low light situations. Though, it's fantastic during the day.

I find that the camera's that are being installed in most cars today, including my old 2011 Ford Explorer, are great during the day, but extremely poor at night. They just don't preform well in low light situations... not surprising considering the cheap sensors that are in these back-up cams.

Weber Dude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My theory, could be wrong, but maybe the license plate light when dark out or in low light situations is muddying up the picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64