Back from the dead 2007 Tahoe 2wd LT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have been driving this thing around to make sure the bugs are worked out and it was only getting 13.2 mpg. I cleaned the MAF, re-set the fuel trim learning, alcohol content, and did a crank re-learn. I have a diablosport i3 sitting around that we use in my shop when we install new GM engines with DOD delete, so I loaded a basic tune. One of my techs is an experienced tuner but we'll save that for future mods. The factory re-learns and canned tune are now netting 15.6 mpg so I'm very happy. I also have a new MAF and both upstream o2's for it but I'm not sure they'll be needed.

I have all of the lowering stuff. I'm using Belltech 2511 2" spindles, McGaughy's 3180 adjustable struts, Belltech 34324 rear spring kit, and new AC Delco strut mounts. I got the adjustable struts because my front struts are original and I'm going for a 2.5/4 drop so I wanted that extra 1/2" adjustment. I am debating whether this would be a good time to replace the front wheel bearings and brakes all around.

View attachment 271600
View attachment 271601
View attachment 271602
View attachment 271603
View attachment 271604
Looking forward to seeing it lowered. Good choice on the components.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work Leevon! Glad to hear you're doing well. I was wondering why the updates had suddenly stopped.

OP
OP
Leevon

Leevon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear speakers were shot, so I installed four new door speakers. I found an inexpensive kit on Ebay that included the mounts and harness adapters (I'm lazy) and they're nothing special. They don't sound great, assuming the head unit doesn't have enough juice so I'm upgrading that soon. For now I'm going to try some speaker baffles and see if that gives them any more punch. I cleaned up the door panels while they were off, and will be replacing the outside door handles also.

s-l1600 (2).jpg
63657393429__7C58B7F2-72F9-4E20-9295-80599C6BFD22.jpg
IMG_5661.jpg

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
The rear speakers were shot, so I installed four new door speakers. I found an inexpensive kit on Ebay that included the mounts and harness adapters (I'm lazy). They're nothing special. They also don't sound great right now, so I'm adding baffles behind the speakers and upgrading the stereo soon. I cleaned up the door panels while they were off, and will be replacing the outside door handles also.

View attachment 272616
View attachment 272617
View attachment 272618[Maharaja.

Does the truck have the Bose system???

OP
OP
Leevon

Leevon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the truck have the Bose system???

Non-Bose. Here are the speaker specs, thinking the factory unit just doesn't have enough juice? They're tinny and distant sounding, hardly any bass

JBL GT76 6.5 INCH 2 WAY CAR Truck Front & Rear Door Speakers W/Install Kits

6-1/2" 2-way speakers (pair)
polypropylene Plus One™ woofer cone with foam surround
balanced dome PEI tweeter
power range: 2-45 watts RMS (135 watts peak power)
frequency response: 55-20,000 Hz
sensitivity: 93 dB
top-mount depth: 2-3/8"

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Non-Bose. Here are the speaker specs, thinking the factory unit just doesn't have enough juice? They're tinny and distant sounding, hardly any bass

New HU will definitely wake them up.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you have a dvm, measure the impedance (ohms) of the old ones and compare to the new ones. I know the Bose are 2 ohm and if you put in a 4 ohm they’re quiet. Not sure what impedance your old ones were since they’re not Bose. Those JBL are 4 ohm.

OP
OP
Leevon

Leevon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a dvm, measure the impedance (ohms) of the old ones and compare to the new ones. I know the Bose are 2 ohm and if you put in a 4 ohm they’re quiet. Not sure what impedance your old ones were since they’re not Bose. Those JBL are 4 ohm.

I assumed the factory speakers were 2 ohm but research says the non-Bose are 4 ohm so should be good. But I don't think the stock radio has much more than 15 watts per channel or so. New head unit on the way anyways. Ordered one of the Chinese Eonon units. I had second thoughts and tried to cancel but China's not listening so we'll see how well it works lol.

OP
OP
Leevon

Leevon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I had the door panels off I replaced the handles with the NOS ones I found on Ebay. The old handles were really ugly and all four were peeling, scratched, etc. I don't know what was all over these peoples nasty hands but it ate everything they touched. This might sound crazy but depending on how far I go with this thing it may get torn down later for complete paint. My friend has a high end restoration shop about a mile away, it won't be crazy expensive if I do the R&R and prep then have him shoot it.

thumbnail_IMG_5675.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5677.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5678.jpg

OP
OP
Leevon

Leevon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to drop back and take care of one last mechanical issue because I ran out of time last round. The rear main seal, so now zero leaks. Drove her around all weekend, loaded down with people, she's doing great!

IMG_5759.jpg IMG_5758.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons