Baby Car Seat install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the center seat safe in the rear ?

I bought the Roll over tested version..
I'm i spouse to use the Latch system and the seatbelt?
i'm new to this btw

I was looking at the manual it says nothing about the Rear facing Position...

looks like GM overlooked that :eek:

it just says not to put it in the front seat well duh...

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 kids here at the moment
your safest spot for rear facing or any child seat is behind one of the 2 front seats. extra input here is think road trips the child will wake up mid trip and have a fit. if your in a position you cant pull over having the seat behind the driver is best. your significant other who is free can more easily tend to the child or just completely climb back there when the seat is there. not that i condone climbing through a moving vehicle but on our second kid and i promise its going to happen.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also i recommend only using the latch system. one less obstacle to get your child around when the need arises is much less stressful when your already stressed and your child is puking.

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can seek out nationally certified car seat installers. Usually hospitals, police and fire departments have personnel trained to answer these questions with authority.

Always keep the child in the most restrictive environment for safety. That is in the rear and rear facing. Center row, center seat. LATCH tethering is as good if not better than a three point belt. LATCH was a replacement for three point belt from an ease and speed standpoint.

Use the LATCH if you can. If not, use the seat belt.

I prefer LATCH. It seems stronger IMHO. Though, placement of the seat is crucial, too. You need to make the choice.

The only choice that isn't an option, is properly restraining children. Please do. Always.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can seek out nationally certified car seat installers. Usually hospitals, police and fire departments have personnel trained to answer these questions with authority.

Always keep the child in the most restrictive environment for safety. That is in the rear and rear facing. Center row, center seat. LATCH tethering is as good if not better than a three point belt. LATCH was a replacement for three point belt from an ease and speed standpoint.

Use the LATCH if you can. If not, use the seat belt.

I prefer LATCH. It seems stronger IMHO. Though, placement of the seat is crucial, too. You need to make the choice.

The only choice that isn't an option, is properly restraining children. Please do. Always.
the center seat in the rear seems out of the way from the front Seats recoil when it's rear ended (it has different seats then the normal tahoe) you can see in the photo the front seats end up in the back seats this would crush a rear facing car seat

Yes i know your not spouse to have a towel under it that is to prevent the seats from being rubbed raw when idle for now, as it's a permanent install..

i noticed in the photo the seatbelt might be reachable so i can make an adjustment on that.

Capturet.JPG 20191208_200052.jpg 20191208_200141.jpg

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the center seat in the rear seems out of the way from the front Seats recoil when it's rear ended (it has different seats then the normal tahoe) you can see in the photo the front seats end up in the back seats this would crush a rear facing car seat

Yes i know your not spouse to have a towel under it that is to prevent the seats from being rubbed raw when idle for now, as it's a permanent install..

View attachment 236233 View attachment 236245 View attachment 236246

If you have only one seat to install, place it in the 2nd row. It is easier to get them in and out, especially in an emergency. Don’t over think this. The car seats are designed to protect the child even if a seat collapses back on them.
With four kids, we preferred to keep the youngest kids in the 2nd row with the youngest on the driver side for matter of convenience. LATCH system is preferable over seatbelt. I always knelt down on the seat to compress the seat cushion a little when tightening up the LATCH straps to keep the seat stable. As Stephen said, hospitals, fire departments and police departments will help if you are not sure about laws or proper installation. Typically under 1 year, the seat needs to be rear facing.

There is nothing wrong with putting something under the seat to protect your seat. We used them for all four of our kids. This is a link to something like what we used. It’s water proof and pretty durable.
https://www.amazon.com/Car-Seat-Pro...t=&hvlocphy=9018667&hvtargid=pla-828598002919

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i noticed in the photo the seatbelt might be reachable so i can make an adjustment on that.

View attachment 236233 View attachment 236245 View attachment 236246

First time parent?

It is why I said second row. Stupid to fish a kid out of the back row every trip. Also, by putting them in the very rear you are working contrary to the notion of protecting the child, the same reasoning they do not sit up front in the first row.

Also, it goes against the very idea of placing the child in the center and closest to the center of mass for the most part.

Place them in the rear to protect them from the typical head and rear end strikes.

Place them in the center to protect them from side intrusion. Also, by being closer to the CM you are giving them a better shot of experiencing less rotational accelerations.

Now the way the seats fold, you may want the kid in the 40 to have the 60. Or need to say keep kid in center on the 60, and rear is only open via the 40.

If you have multiple kids, put your favorite in the middle.

Life is dangerous. Driving or being in a car adds more risk. Limit those risks as much as possible. The advice above is universal and address the game of numbers.

LATCH is a replacement and perhaps even improvement over belting in the car seat. LATCH tends to be attached to the seat. Three point belts tend to be attached to the frame. Not always true (GMT800s with the belts in the seat up front like a rear seat of a GMT900).

GM isn't in the business of placing car seats. They meet what standards there are and that's all. By telling you out kid in this spot, they can assume some responsibility. They won't do that. It is up to you. Thank the lawyers.

Car seats have really been a rather new idea over the last twenty years. You may have grown up riding in the back with no belts.. older parents may recall placing children on the floor board, or road trips sitting in the cargo area of the station wagon with the rear facing seats... Or even cars with no belts or where the belts were a priced option.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always been amazed at the amount of people that do not know how to install a car seat properly, (not referring to you Brent) just saying in general, I mean Jesus it's your child figure it out!
that being said I always put my youngest behind me in the 2nd row drivers side in the event of a accident on the drivers side as the driver I am going to do anything I can to protect my side, same for the passenger side but I would rather they be behind me and that way mom can tend to the child if needed, having them in the center is inconvenient neither parent can easily reach nor climb over easily if necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts