B2470 Error code from OnStar - Red light on rear view mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyR0206

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My OnStar light in the rear view mirror is glowing a beautiful red color! I had OnStar run a diagnosis and they came back with a B2470 error code. I looked online and it seems it's an issue with the antenna (either just a malfunction or water leakage). Anyway, has anyone on here had this issue? If so, what action did you take? I've read where people have taken their vehicles to the dealership and the dealerships had to remove the head liner....sounded like a nightmare. As my Yukon is no longer under warranty, I'm trying to avoid costly dealership repairs and wondering if there is any kind of a do it yourself fix.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get this one every once in a while and even with the light green. I just reset it because like you said, I don't want to remove the headliner and there's no evidence of water intrusion. Onstar and the phone still work. The cable for mine is about $100 too. But if either quits or water stains appear, I'll happily let the dealer do this one.

OP
OP
TonyR0206

TonyR0206

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I get this one every once in a while and even with the light green. I just reset it because like you said, I don't want to remove the headliner and there's no evidence of water intrusion. Onstar and the phone still work. The cable for mine is about $100 too. But if either quits or water stains appear, I'll happily let the dealer do this one.

I ended up taking it to the dealership to get fixed. $367 out the door and everything works perfectly. They said they change A LOT of them. I told him of my concern for pulling the headliner and he told me only the portion under the antenna needs to be loosened. I do a lot of business with these guys - (buying 5 vehicles from them in 6 years) they take good care of me...I told them "I'd better not see one greasy fingerprint on that headliner or you're replacing it." A forensics team would have a hard time finding a print in that car when they were done with it. Anyway, just thought I'd update you in case you were thinking about having it done.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tony. I was just thinking about running a scan to see if the code came back. Around the time of that post, my daughter and I ran a bead of RTV around the antenna and the random codes stopped but so did most of the rain. A couple of car washes though and the codes never came back and radio reception is just fine.

What did the dealership do? I have a local one also that does good work and is trustworthy.

Awfiretto

Reaction score
2007 Tahoe LT -

So after a big rain storm, on Texas highway, at Texas speeds.... I started getting this intermittent red light. Onstar diagnostics is the B2470

I have done the following:
- Disassembled and cleaned Antenna (it was old and cruddy, highly likely water got in)
- Checked and confirmed - no water damage in vehicle
- Checked, cleaned, and re-seated connector from antenna to vehicle cable.
- Unplugged and cleaned connection to onStar module (PITA)
- Pulled fuse a few times for onstar waiting multiple minutes each time
---- With the red light still intermittent after all this - Purchased new antenna from amazon and installed today --- STILL RED LIGHT!!!

Im at a loss. I cannot imagine what else could be wrong. My theories are:

1 - Codes still in module
- I read in service manual it takes 50 starts without the error to clear it??? (but then why is it green sometimes???)

2 - Onstar module bad ??

3 - Gremlin Ground issue that no forum or post I have found can solve?

4 - Unlikely - I have an aftermarket isimple bluetooth module on ontop of the onstar module? - maybe I will try disconnecting this to see if red light goes away. But I doubt it!

Any one else with this issue or any tips for this? Thanks for your help in advance.... I cant imagine trying to take this to a dealer, let alone my schedule, I am not sure what else they will do?

Also, btw, my OnStar functions perfectly, called them today and they pin pointed my location and confirmed all features working... at a loss here?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2007 Tahoe LT -

So after a big rain storm, on Texas highway, at Texas speeds.... I started getting this intermittent red light. Onstar diagnostics is the B2470...

From the shop manual:

Circuit/System Verification
Verify that the cellular antenna and cellular antenna coupling assembly are not damaged.
 If the antenna assembly is damaged, replace the cellular antenna.
Component Testing
1. Disconnect the cellular antenna coax connector from the VCIM and the cellular antenna.
2. Test for infinite resistance between the center conductor and the outer metal shield of the cellular antenna
coax cable.
 If meter does not read infinite, replace the cellular antenna coax cable.
3. Test for less than 1 ohm of resistance at the cellular antenna coax connector from end to end.
 If greater than specified value, replace the cellular antenna coax cable.
4. Ignition OFF, connect a fused jumper wire between coaxial center conductor and the metal outer shield at
the VCIM antenna coax cable connector.
5. Ignition ON, verify that DTC B2470 is not current.
 If DTC B2470 is still current, replace the VCIM.
6. If all circuits test normal, replace the cellular antenna.

MVR 155

Reaction score
My 2015 Denali just had this issue, the GPS antenna crapped the bed (navigation was messed up, no XM radio reception and the red OnStar light). Dealer replaced it under warranty, it's quite a common issue from what they told me.

Awfiretto

Reaction score
Swathdiver - thanks! That was my next step, but I didn’t want to get into running a new cable, and I can’t really find a diagram of the route for it yet. But I may Google more on it.

The motor mounts were shot, and just had them replaced, and it seems to have greatly reduced the “red” light appearing. Not sure if this correlated with the Grounds, but I have feeling this may have played a small part.

Also, it could be the module clearing the codes, from what I read it takes 50 starts to completely clear it!?

Either way with the new antenna, and week of driving, the problem has gotten much better. We will see how the next few weeks go, I’ll post again after I see what happens.

TahoeLT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if B2470 can be due to inactive OnStar subscription? Am I am attempting to troubleshoot and DO NOT have an active onstar subscription. My onstar light is not lit at all. When pressing the onstar button, I get blinking red light and unable to connect to onstar rep. Attempting to sign up for free onstar trial now.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TahoeLT10, Google search the phone number for customer service, call them and have them trouble shoot your issue.