Awe man, did I just damage my throttle body?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks:

Replaced my Yukon's (2008 Denali 6.2) water pump. It was failing big time but I caught it before damage occurred.

HOWEVER....

....in the process I didn't realize there were 6 bolts to the water pump; thought there were 4. So when it didn't come off the block at 4, I decide to take a rubber hammer and gently tap it. Thinking the gaskets might be holding it tight. Hit it once...nothing. Took a second swing and on my downward motion grazed the left side of the throttle body with the hammer.. the part that houses the plastic components. I "ping" went off as one of the 6 brackets that secures that plastic part to the metal throttle body flew off. I thought noting of it...UNTIL I filled it with new fluid and started the motor. It no longer holds a steady idle. Sometimes jumps as high as 2K and then back down to 800. When driving, it will accelerate on its own as well. Not fun....

Has anyone damaged their throttle body or had throttle issues that were caused by a bad throttle body? I get no codes, don't think it is the mass air flow sensor since we didn't bother it.

I went ahead and ordered a replacement; I just HOPE that is what went wrong and something larger isn't at play.

Thoughts?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks:

Replaced my Yukon's (2008 Denali 6.2) water pump. It was failing big time but I caught it before damage occurred.

HOWEVER....

....in the process I didn't realize there were 6 bolts to the water pump; thought there were 4. So when it didn't come off the block at 4, I decide to take a rubber hammer and gently tap it. Thinking the gaskets might be holding it tight. Hit it once...nothing. Took a second swing and on my downward motion grazed the left side of the throttle body with the hammer.. the part that houses the plastic components. I "ping" went off as one of the 6 brackets that secures that plastic part to the metal throttle body flew off. I thought noting of it...UNTIL I filled it with new fluid and started the motor. It no longer holds a steady idle. Sometimes jumps as high as 2K and then back down to 800. When driving, it will accelerate on its own as well. Not fun....

Has anyone damaged their throttle body or had throttle issues that were caused by a bad throttle body? I get no codes, don't think it is the mass air flow sensor since we didn't bother it.

I went ahead and ordered a replacement; I just HOPE that is what went wrong and something larger isn't at play.

Thoughts?

You obviously broke it and it sounds like something that's not repairable. There's a few finely-calibrated systems going on in that little package. I'm sure it'll be fine once you replace it. There may be an idle relearning period with the new one, but it shouldn't be anything dangerous such as what you have now.

OP
OP
M

Mr T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced, fixed. That did it. I first tried to reset the throttle configuration in the computer by doing the reset procedure (start let idle for 3 min, etc, etc). Nope. Took a new throttle body. Nice. Water pump replacement replaces both pump and throttle body. Live and learn.