AWD front diff, Broken mounting ear on pass side, Weldable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AltxF4

Reaction score
In the process of replacing my trans I decided to attack some oil leaks. While lowering the front differential to do the oil pan gasket, I found that the passenger side of the front differential has the rearward side mounting ear broken off. I have no idea how long this has been broken, but I am wondering if anybody knows if the long tube side of the differential is a weldable alloy. Anybody else experience this brake? There was no steel saddle clamp that went over the axle tube for such a thin aluminum cast section, should there be one?

OP
OP
AltxF4

AltxF4

Reaction score
Well, the casting for the part in question is a little porous, and has let some oil ********* in. With that said, it was weldable. I had the AC Balance set at the limit of constantly melting my tungsten, but I had to as to get a mostly clean weld. The job is not pretty by any means, and I think I will make up a saddle out of steel to hold the differential tube in place if the ears break again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14