AWD Debris on Front Differential Magnetic Plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Go to YouTube and search 8.25 IFS front diff rebuild. I think the guy is BroncoCarl. It a two parter and fun to watch. After seeing that one (plus other stuff online) Its a "can do" for a DIY guy.

That bronco video is a good starting point but he missed a bunch of steps, the main one been that he did not set the adjuster locks with the back lash. There is a DIY in this forum that I posted just look for it. It is a very detail post.

6speedblazer

Reaction score
That bronco video is a good starting point but he missed a bunch of steps, the main one been that he did not set the adjuster locks with the back lash. There is a DIY in this forum that I posted just look for it. It is a very detail post.

The factory service manual goes over backlash setup very well. even tells you how much movement of the ring gear you will get with each notch on the adjuster. I want to say its like .003" for each notch.

So you tighten on side on notch and loosen the other side one notch (to maintain proper bearing preload) then the carrier moves .003"

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to YouTube and search 8.25 IFS front diff rebuild. I think the guy is BroncoCarl. It a two parter and fun to watch. After seeing that one (plus other stuff online) Its a "can do" for a DIY guy.

Bronco carl doesn't show how to remove the pieces unique to AWD 8.25 IFS diff. I'm having trouble getting the details from his videos on mine as such... and finding AWD tutorial :/ They are mostly the same but have small differences which need rebuilt as well.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Bronco carl doesn't show how to remove the pieces unique to AWD 8.25 IFS diff. I'm having trouble getting the details from his videos on mine as such... and finding AWD tutorial :/ They are mostly the same but have small differences which need rebuilt as well.

Don't use Broncos video as a guide he did a half ass job on the rebuild. He did not even adjust the carrier bearing adjusters.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Dude i was totally woundering how you adjust those. I see the locking tab.

Why did he skip that?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

The carrier adjusters get adjusted as you set the back lash on the gear, its pain it the ass. It took me 2hrs to adjust and set the back lash. Thats problably why Bronco skipped that step, you also have to modify a 33mm socked to grab the teeth of the carrier adjusters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent