Automatic Wipers Not Working...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
U

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah there are 4 speeds for automatic I believe. So the bottom setting is off, the next 4 are speed settings for automatic, and the last 2 are speed settings for always on (i.e. the super fast settings). My automatic feature never worked; whenever I had the wipers set to one of the 4 automatic speeds, they never came on, even if it was pouring outside. I have since disabled the automatic feature and use my wipers just like normal ones.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there not an option in the dic to turn off the auto wiper?

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

Some customers may not understand the DELAY positions on the wiper/washer switch, which are used to activate the AUTOMATIC rain sensing operating mode. The DELAY positions are also used to adjust the level of sensitivity to moisture accumulation, which determines the dwell time for commanding a wiper motor wipe cycle.

this is from our manuals. is it possible it's just not raining hard enough for them to cycle as much as you want them too?

No option in the DIC that I found. IMO the rain sense did not operate to my expectations, either did not wipe enough or was too fast. Yes I did try the other sensitivity modes.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Popped the black cover off and disconnected the sensor wiring this weekend. Geez, I don't know how I went this long before doing this. My wipers now work exactly as I want and need them to.

The sensor-operating mode was a complete joke (and downright unsafe, really). Forget being able to see when it's raining lightly at night. The sensitivity adjustment was never sensitive enough. My mom's sensor wipers work great in her Caddy DTS -- not so in my Tahoe.

Thanks for the advice/instructions regarding this mod. It's great to have control of my wipers again.

dub02gpgt

dub
Reaction score
:everything:
Thanks Guys, less than a week with my new yukon & i thought something was wrong with her. Got it working like a champ now!

TowGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As much as I don't like the auto feature on my Denali, it's far better than the way it worked on my BMW X5. The wipers in that SUV had a mind of their own- spit on the windshield and the wipers would swipe 3 times, but get deluged by a passing truck and they'd pass just once. Never made sense to me. But I think I'll disconnect mine anyway and make them operate the way I want them to.

Now if I could figure out *********** the final wipe after using the windshield washers. Hate that 2 or 3 seconds after using the washers and having the wipers go through 3 cycles that they do one more delayed pass over the dry windshield.

jasonsbiz74

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was having this trouble w the delayed wipers too. I pulled the plug on the sensor and they work perfect again. Thanks forum.

whitestingray81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just wanted to thank all who posted. Just pulled the plug on my auto wipers and NOW they work as they should. Thanks!

1kevinc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just wanted to thank all who posted. Just pulled the plug on my auto wipers and NOW they work as they should. Thanks!
Ditto, just picked up an 07 Burb LTZ and the wipers would never come on rain or not. So I pulled the cover and unplugged it and they now work like normal wipers, intermittent and all. The sensor is firmly attached to the windshield. I imagine the sensor and the wipers work on the same fuse? Any other reason rainsense will not work. They did in my 07 Tahoe just as they should have.

Monkeyman

Reaction score
Now if I could figure out *********** the final wipe after using the windshield washers. Hate that 2 or 3 seconds after using the washers and having the wipers go through 3 cycles that they do one more delayed pass over the dry windshield.

There's a reason for that. The first few wipes clear the windshield. The pause is long enough for the washer fluid that's accumulated above the wipe path to start dripping down. The "extra" wipe should clear that away. I can see where that might be annoying but it makes sense.

exninja

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Another satisfactory fix! Intermittent wipers weren't working, didn't realize I had this (broken) feature. Now they work like normal. I like free fixes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne