Automatic Temperature Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

29tomt

Reaction score
2003 Tahoe. When I try to dial the desired termperature on a cold morning, the display will go to the high 60s and stop. As the car warm up, it begins to increase incrementally but differently left side and right side. For years I would just dial both sides to 90 and when it got hot enough, dial it down and put on automatic. Nothing I can not live with but a change. Where might I look to find the problem? Thanks.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2003 Tahoe. When I try to dial the desired termperature on a cold morning, the display will go to the high 60s and stop. As the car warm up, it begins to increase incrementally but differently left side and right side. For years I would just dial both sides to 90 and when it got hot enough, dial it down and put on automatic. Nothing I can not live with but a change. Where might I look to find the problem? Thanks.
I was told decades ago by the dealer [when I had a Caddy] never to play around with the temperature settings. Your vehicle is not going to get warmer faster inside by setting it at 90 then lowering it. If you set the temp at 75 it will get to 75 in the same amount of time. Also if you lower it or want to make it higher for some reason just do it a few degrees at a time.

I just leave mine set at 72 all the time whether I am in cold NYC or in this miserable heat in Miami. Just set it and forget it.

All that IMHO. To each their own.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Likely the contacts inside the control need to be cleaned and lubricated for smooth operation. As the control warms up (with the vehicle interior) the contacts change enough for the settings to change. Requires disassembly or replacement with the Dorman unit, which doesn't require programming. Junkyard replacement would probably have the same issue.

You can "gang" the passenger setting with the driver's control knob so their temp settings are the same and move together:

Capture.JPG

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Likely the contacts inside the control need to be cleaned and lubricated for smooth operation. As the control warms up (with the vehicle interior) the contacts change enough for the settings to change. Requires disassembly or replacement with the Dorman unit, which doesn't require programming. Junkyard replacement would probably have the same issue.

You can "gang" the passenger setting with the driver's control knob so their temp settings are the same and move together:

View attachment 390368
So if you replace with a dorman its a plug and play no programming?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98