Auto Start/Stop is a Good thing for the Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Am I in the minority that I don't mind the auto start/stop? For the diesel in particular it seems like a good thing since you get a double benefit with less idling. First, you save on fuel assuming it's at least 15+ seconds. Second, and perhaps more importantly, too much idling of the diesel engines can build up soot in the diesel particulate filters, requiring more frequent regens, and therefore more DEF. That might explain why they didn't remove the auto/start stop from the diesel engines, only the gassers.

Just my 2 cents.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have to disagree. If your idling for more than 2 minutes, than you are likely going to come out ahead to shut it down. But if you idle less than that, the fuel used during start up will likely be more than if you had just let it idle. Diesels use very little during idle times. It also allows the DPF to maintain temp while idling.

Our Volvo diesels have cylinder deactivation during extended idle times. Using roughly 5 gallons of diesel for a 10 hour idle time. It also gives the engine a smoother idle. Its weird.

Knowing GM's history with cylinder deactivation, its not a suggestion I am going to make to them.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I don't own a new rig and hear here about the auto start/stop. Personally, I want the control. But, like you, this feature is right down your alley. If you like it, great.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I turn it off immediately. The constant starting and stopping at stop lights and long stop light lines is at total PIA. Plus I don’t want AC slowing down at lights etc. Luckily it’s easy to turn off….
Can’t be good for your vehicle long term….

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I’ll stay out of the auto stop feature as I don’t currently have a dog in that fight. For clarification though, I’ll point out that the DEF is used in the catalyst, not the DPF. Those are two separate devices with different functions.

OP
OP
Jeremie

Jeremie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There's a pushbutton on the left of the steering wheel with some of the other features that can be enabled/disabled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons