Auto Air Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DmRatedX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Having issues with what I assume is the auto Air controls. 01 Tahoe with dual controls. The back controls are not the issues. The front vents will blow cool when I have the heat on unless I have the window opened a little. If I roll the window up it will take a couple mins but will go back to blowing cool again. Any help?

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok..
Most likely youre not understanding how they operate.

Assuming you have the controls with actual temperatures written on them? (60F, 65F, 70F, etc)
If so, then it will maintain ur cabin at that temperature. Literally any point u set is that set temperature and the blend door will modulate to keep that set temperature.

The only other settings are either full cold on the blue mark or full hot on the red mark. Those are the Only manual control on this system. So by you stating that it warms up when u have the window down, the temp sensor in the headliner above your head in the drivers seat is whats sensing the cabin temp.

Try this..
Set it to FULL hot. All the way and click over to the red mark. The temp should get very warm and stay there. If its not hot in this position then you have other issues.
If it does get hot in that position then its likely you either have a blend door issue or that sensor in the headliner is defective.

Try that and let us know man! [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DmRatedX

DmRatedX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Maybe I should explain better. I never put the system on auto, front or back. The back works fine, hot or cold, whatever the setting on back controls say it's doing that. I can get in cut the heat on full blast, it will warm up and blow hot at idle and then start cooling off when driving, unless I put the window down some. This issue has only came about in the last month or so. Water levels are fine. Flushed the system to make sure wasn't any trash. Besides the temp change, anyway to tell if the sensor above my head is bad? I can hear it spinning/clicking all the time.

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should explain better. I never put the system on auto, front or back. The back works fine, hot or cold, whatever the setting on back controls say it's doing that. I can get in cut the heat on full blast, it will warm up and blow hot at idle and then start cooling off when driving, unless I put the window down some. This issue has only came about in the last month or so. Water levels are fine. Flushed the system to make sure wasn't any trash. Besides the temp change, anyway to tell if the sensor above my head is bad? I can hear it spinning/clicking all the time.

What control do you have? Take a pic or post a link to what it is..

If you set the control all the way...to full heat...it should stay there and not change temperature.

Once we know what control u have itll be easier to tell what we gotta do next

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You'll know the sensor in the headliner Scott is talking about because it is the intermittent/constant whirling rattle noise above your left ear.

Scott is that noise normal? It happens about 15% of the time and when it does do it it stays that way till it just quits by itself. In other words, is it supposed to always work in a very quiet mode?

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll know the sensor in the headliner Scott is talking about because it is the intermittent/constant whirling rattle noise above your left ear.

Scott is that noise normal? It happens about 15% of the time and when it does do it it stays that way till it just quits by itself. In other words, is it supposed to always work in a very quiet mode?
Yeah its supposed to be pretty quiet. If its buzzing, its on its way out

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
replace the overhead sensor in the headliner they are like $25 online, easy job pull the headliner down a bit from the edge of the drivers door, remove the old one put in the new one, push the headliner back up. plug-n-play, depending on your vehicle there may be another one above the rear right passenger also

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When it gets to be more annoying I will.

Scott, it is not a buzz but more like a very quiet rattle. Almost like the bearing in there needs to heat up before it gets quiet.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Once it runs for a bit it stays quiet after that. It seems to be noisy only when first starting up.