Auto 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ItsJuniorJ

ItsJuniorJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would only run a selectable locker up front. Lockers can do weird things to handling especially on the street, and they can do it without warning.

My 'Burb has the G80 rear and it seems to work fine. I would prefer a selectable locker but I'm satisfied with the G80.

IMO front lockers are for hardcore off-roaders which is definitely not me.

As for the "auto 4wd" that has nothing to do with the axles. It's just a (IMO) half-assed substitute for a true full-time 4wd with a locking center differential.

If you're off-roading hard enough to know you'll need 4wd, skip the "auto" and just put it in 4 hi.

Auto 4wd is for intermittently slippery conditions (like a paved road that has patches of ice or snow, or heavy rain.) The Auto 4wd works by detecting slipping in your rear wheels and then intermittently engaging the front axle through the transfer case.

Yeah, I’ve read up on how this “Auto” system works before, but for where I go, I definitely need to be able to actually lock up Diff’s. I’ve gotten stuck 4 times this year already and it’s so frustrating! I’ve been looking around at Diff’s but fully open to suggestions to anything which will work with this “Auto” system we have as far as the switch, for selecting only of course.

jasonc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are no lockers available for these unless you upgrade front diff to 3/4 ton thats what i found. 3/4 upgrade requires some retrofit also

OP
OP
ItsJuniorJ

ItsJuniorJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are no lockers available for these unless you upgrade front diff to 3/4 ton thats what i found. 3/4 upgrade requires some retrofit also

Did you discover this when trying to solve your own locker issues?

jasonc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you discover this when trying to solve your own locker issues?
No i am currently bulding a street Z71 race truck for the track so i needed a locker well they dont exist to the 8.2 front end you have to move up to the 3/4 ton front end that wasnt an option on the tahoe but was an option in the 2500 surburban. With that being said there not interchangable some braketry needs to be moved

OP
OP
ItsJuniorJ

ItsJuniorJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No i am currently bulding a street Z71 race truck for the track so i needed a locker well they dont exist to the 8.2 front end you have to move up to the 3/4 ton front end that wasnt an option on the tahoe but was an option in the 2500 surburban. With that being said there not interchangable some braketry needs to be moved

So converting isn’t as straight forward as purchasing and installing locking Diff’s into the original housing at all?

jasonc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So converting isn’t as straight forward as purchasing and installing locking Diff’s into the original housing at all?
You cannot purchace factory locker for an 8.2 diff or at least i havent be able to find one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ppv2018