Auction pre-purchase tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ppvfan

Reaction score
Hi,

Brand new guy here. I'm looking at a 2014 PPV with 139,000 miles on it. The service records look pretty good. It's got a new differential, rad, ac compressor and front bearings among other things. The interior looks complete. Two minor accidents to the rear. They will allow an on-site inspection before the auction ends but I doubt I'll be able to test drive it.

I searched but couldn't find any pre-purchase tips or checklist. Anything particular to check or look out for? Thanks very much.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds kind of basic, but check to see if all the exterior lights and the horn work. the decommissioning process sometimes isn’t that careful and these get missed.

On one of mine the horn didn’t work, because a pair of wires, both same color, were crossed when the horn ring was put back together. Easy fix, but took a while to find.

on the other the reverse lights didn’t work. That turned out to be a failed relay. The reverse relay is hardwired into the main fuse panel. I changed it myself in minutes. A new fully populated panel was $175.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving comments from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum, and others will chime in.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The simplest things are sometimes the easiest to over look..

Start the engine, let it run, keep an eye on the oil pressure. The screens are known to clog, and give false PSI readings. But on the flip side, the oil pump is a known wear item. So low oil pressure can be both ok, and bad, depending on what the problem is (what a dilemma eh?).

Check condition of transmission fluid, hopefully its bright an redish pink.

Turn the steering wheel, you listening for clunks, or kind of like a chunkey movement. The intermediate shaft was a problem for these trucks (dont remember when the problem was corrected on the assembly line).

Check for door alignments, on all doors, but mainly the drivers door. Police vehicles get a lot of door openings, closings, slamming's, and being pushed from un-cooperative people under arrest. So hinges are known to wear/bend.

Check for holes on the back side of headlights and taillights. Most police departments put some sort of strobe lights in them, and when removing the systems, dont plug the holes. This allows for water intrusion, and bulb failure.

The rest of the items will require a lift, and I am pretty sure you dont have a Porta-Lift :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

ppvfan

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips. I don't have a lift but do plan to poke my head underneath with a flashlight.

OP
OP
P

ppvfan

Reaction score
I was finally able to inspect the 2014 PPV yesterday. I couldn't drive it but started it and checked everything mentioned here. It was one officer's vehicle for the last 5 years so it's in pretty reasonable shape. There's no lifter tick which was a relief. When started for the first time in 3 weeks there was no exhaust smoke.

There were a few minor items like the back door controls (the windows work from the front and I can hear the locks working in the doors), spotlight hole, small leak from the oil pan gasket and a couple of taillight bulbs burned out.

The rear lift gate is an issue. The top glass will open but the whole thing won't. They thought it was working until recently so I wonder if it's a wiring issue from when everything was taken out.

In any case I'm going to bid on it and will know if I get it tomorrow. Thanks again for the good info.

PS: it was a 4 hour round trip and my ac quit one hour into it, not a fun drive but it was worth it

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I was finally able to inspect the 2014 PPV yesterday. I couldn't drive it but started it and checked everything mentioned here. It was one officer's vehicle for the last 5 years so it's in pretty reasonable shape. There's no lifter tick which was a relief. When started for the first time in 3 weeks there was no exhaust smoke.

There were a few minor items like the back door controls (the windows work from the front and I can hear the locks working in the doors), spotlight hole, small leak from the oil pan gasket and a couple of taillight bulbs burned out.

The rear lift gate is an issue. The top glass will open but the whole thing won't. They thought it was working until recently so I wonder if it's a wiring issue from when everything was taken out.

In any case I'm going to bid on it and will know if I get it tomorrow. Thanks again for the good info.

PS: it was a 4 hour round trip and my ac quit one hour into it, not a fun drive but it was worth it
Good luck. I hope you get it for a reasonable price.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score

From what I understand the liftgate release isn't totally uncommon. If it is stuck you may end up having to drill a hole through the interior trim to manually release it. then you can open it and remove the interior trim and replace. It's pretty easy from what I've seen.

OP
OP
P

ppvfan

Reaction score
Got it! $4400 US/$5500 CAD + taxes. I'll pick it up next week and add some photos here.

I found it on govdeals.ca It was from a municipal police force in Ontario. They've had less than a dozen sold on the site in the last year from $2500 up to $14000.

Last edited:

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it! $4400 US/$5500 CAD + taxes. I'll pick it up next week and add some photos here.

I found it on govdeals.ca It was from a municipal police force in Ontario. They've had less than a dozen sold on the site in the last year from $2500 up to $14000.
That’s what I paid for theothertwin when I decided one wasn’t enough.