ATF fluid/transfer case question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the fluid circulated through the transfer case? This is the manual shifter which uses ATF, FYI.

Reason I ask is after using 4H my fluid was really low and the transmission was shifting poorly. Hard 1-2 and Converter lock up issues.
After filling back up and driving nicely it’s at about 98% normal.

Would engaging 4WD cause a fluid transfer? Is the transfer case sealed in that regard?

I was considering the ShiftRite valve body kit w/Sonnax goodies or the kit on eBay with all the gaskets and TransGo upgrades for valve body. Possibly Corvette Servo but that’s unrelated (I think).

We’re on a road trip so I won’t have the truck until the weekend.

TIA for the group’s wisdom.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans/ transfer case seperate but connected. Trans seal leak usually kills transmission (automatic). Have to drop t-case.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, but if trans losing fluid then T-case overfull.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Eventually if you keep adding fluid and the seal is leaking that isolates the two, you will be over filled on one or the other or both. May never show signs of external leakage except maybe at vent valve.

OP
OP
liquify33

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eventually if you keep adding fluid and the seal is leaking that isolates the two, you will be over filled on one or the other or both. May never show signs of external leakage except maybe at vent valve.
Is that seal replaceable without dropping the transmission?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes. Mark and drop the shafts off the transfer case attaching areas and tape over the caps so they don't fly and needle bearing fly as well. Lots of electrical connections to unplug CAREFULLY and mark with colored tape or whatever if needed. Unbolt from trans and pull back a little and let drain into a pan. Separate and replace seal after thorough cleaning. Plenty of you tube videos in needed. Separate fluid for case than trans if I remember right. I know my 02 is.

OP
OP
liquify33

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Mark and drop the shafts off the transfer case attaching areas and tape over the caps so they don't fly and needle bearing fly as well. Lots of electrical connections to unplug CAREFULLY and mark with colored tape or whatever if needed. Unbolt from trans and pull back a little and let drain into a pan. Separate and replace seal after thorough cleaning. Plenty of you tube videos in needed. Separate fluid for case than trans if I remember right. I know my 02 is.

Mine’s the manual shift that uses ATF vs the push button. I don’t think that makes a difference physically just fluid-wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT