At my wit's end and about ready to light this thing of fire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkknaebel

Keeping LKQ in business
Reaction score
****should say light thing ON fire****** LOL

I have a 95 4wd 2 door Tahoe with a 4l60e and a np241c. I have had a persistent leak out of the rear output shaft seal since I replaced the motor and got it back on the road. I have replaced the seal twice. I have had a new driveshaft built. Slip yoke inspected and it is fine and within specs. I have replaced the front input shaft seal on the t-case. I have replaced the gasket between the t-case and the transmission. I have replaced the bushing in the extension housing. I cannot for the life of me figure out where the fluid is coming from. It is leaking out of the weep hole in the rear output shaft seal. I cannot think of any more seals to replace. When we had the t-case out, we scrubbed it down (this thing was buried in Tennessee red clay mud and I've been steadily chipping it out from under the trucK), we made sure the vent tube was clear and not clogged. There is no sign of leaking from the t-case itself.

I cannot figure out how the fluid is getting into the t-case. The gasket between the t-case and transmission doesn't have silicone or anything on it, just the fel-pro gasket. The extension housing has silicone on it where it mates to the back of the t-case. The only thing i can think of is the rear output shaft seal going bad after having all the fluid pushed from the tranny to the t-case when the front input shaft seal was shot, but that doesn't explain why so much fluid is back there. T-case was refilled to the top of the fill hole.

Any suggestions or anyone who wants to buy this damn thing off of me and put me out of my misery are welcome.

Last edited:

Walrusmt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
****should say light thing ON fire****** LOL

I have a 95 4wd 2 door Tahoe with a 4l60e and a np241c. I have had a persistent leak out of the rear output shaft seal since I replaced the motor and got it back on the road. I have replaced the seal twice. I have had a new driveshaft built. Slip yoke inspected and it is fine and within specs. I have replaced the front input shaft seal on the t-case. I have replaced the gasket between the t-case and the transmission. I have replaced the bushing in the extension housing. I cannot for the life of me figure out where the fluid is coming from. It is leaking out of the weep hole in the rear output shaft seal. I cannot think of any more seals to replace. When we had the t-case out, we scrubbed it down (this thing was buried in Tennessee red clay mud and I've been steadily chipping it out from under the trucK), we made sure the vent tube was clear and not clogged. There is no sign of leaking from the t-case itself.

I cannot figure out how the fluid is getting into the t-case. The gasket between the t-case and transmission doesn't have silicone or anything on it, just the fel-pro gasket. The extension housing has silicone on it where it mates to the back of the t-case. The only thing i can think of is the rear output shaft seal going bad after having all the fluid pushed from the tranny to the t-case when the front input shaft seal was shot, but that doesn't explain why so much fluid is back there. T-case was refilled to the top of the fill hole.

Any suggestions or anyone who wants to buy this damn thing off of me and put me out of my misery are welcome.
First, I'm sorry for the trouble - and sorry no one has responded!
Have you fixed the trouble or can you provide an update? Any pics of the leaking area? Your description is good, but I'm a visual guy so pics help.

Thanks,

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think she may have got that leak all sorted out. But I'm curious what the final solution was. Hopefully she will see this and let us know.

OP
OP
dkknaebel

dkknaebel

Keeping LKQ in business
Reaction score
i remember last year she said the AC wasn't working either! @dkknaebel
Well gentleman, I did get the leak sorted out. Just about when I was going to strike the match, we fixed it. Ok, so the seal on the input shaft on the t-case was replaced and that stopped the leak to the rear output shaft/extension housing. Well when we had the driveshaft rebuilt, it was a bit too long at first and it smashed the seal a bit. Hubby thinks it's not the cause and that I'm building pressure somewhere in the trans that it just blowing the fluid past that input shaft seal on the t-case. I tell him let's just replace that rear output shaft seal, it's cheap, it's not a pain in the butt to replace and we'll see what happens. replaced it and for a couple of days it seemed like it was still leaking. Well it wasn't, it sealed up and is dry as a bone. The "leak" was the previous leaked fluid seeping back out of all of the damn red clay that is STILL clumped under my truck. That thing needs to go sit in a fresh water spring or something. Oh and I figured out why it would randomly go into limp home mode. It was weird, it would start up and then the gear selector light would go out when I shifted gears and it would get into LHM. So I googled it and a common cause is the ignition switch. I know someone has been into my column before me, it's busted to hell and back. So I ordered one of those, the hubs replaces it because I was terrified of the airbag and viola! No more LHM, no more weird ass shifts, no more leaks. It's like a daily driver now! Well except the a/c. I need to replace the actuator, it's stuck and just thumps. But the vents all work, the switch works too. I swear, i should have bought anything other than this half year Franken-truck, but I love her. So now that we've solved the leak and we also just overhauled and rebuilt the boat trailer, I might get a/c by the end of summer LOL

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to replace the actuator, it's stuck and just thumps. But the vents all work, the switch works too. I swear, i should have bought anything other than this half year Franken-truck, but I love her. So now that we've solved the leak and we also just overhauled and rebuilt the boat trailer, I might get a/c by the end of summer LOL

Thanks for the update! If you know which actuator they're not terribly hard for an able bodied person to replace. Dorman's prices on them are pretty reasonable too though OEM ones will probably last longer but are quite a bit more money.

OP
OP
dkknaebel

dkknaebel

Keeping LKQ in business
Reaction score
Thanks for the update! If you know which actuator they're not terribly hard for an able bodied person to replace. Dorman's prices on them are pretty reasonable too though OEM ones will probably last longer but are quite a bit more money.

It's the actuator behind the ashtray in the middle of the dash. Just need to drop the ashtray and get it changed out and then charge the system. But as it's 90+ degrees in Florida all the time, I'm not going to be able to convince him to crawl under the dash for a bit. I got 2-60 air for now, it's 6 miles back and forth to work and after the gym, I'm so hot it doesn't matter anyway. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent