Article - Android Automotive goes mainstream: A review of GM’s new infotainment system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vwfast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Android Automotive goes mainstream: A review of GM’s new infotainment system

Review posted at Ars Technica today on the Android Automotive system that we have in our 22/23 Tahoes and Yukons. I use AirPlay in mine all the time, so some of this doesn't affect/impact me, but I was nodding in agreement with many of the statements made. I've wondered how well this system is going to age and this review doesn't make me feel good about it.

This one stood out among others:
  • GM seemingly picked the cheapest computer parts it could find and then waited five years before shipping them.

Edlee321

Reaction score
It's pretty accurate article, Google automotive is very basic.

I didnt know rear entertainment system was WebOS, I wish they highlighted lack of usb video playback.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know why i just read that lol.

You can tell the tone from the beginning. My favorite is saying the hardware is dated then saying it's super fast and works well.

These types have an agenda. What's surprising is the 6gb of ram.

He also doesn't get why there are safety lockouts ? Or mad that you cant customize the guage cluster more ?

You don't need the world's best processor when its supposed to mirror your phone.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats why I'm glad I have the 21 system. Has done all we require with much less limitations. Plays USB, plays Firestick, Mirrors phone/iPad, doesn't care about available "Apps".
Newer ain't always better...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ppv2018