Applique removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they messed up my truck when they delivered it. Scratched it everywhere. I would rather just do it myself and avoid the collateral damage. I am hesitant to just pry that's why I would rather have an idea of where and how to approach removing it properly. So far it won't budge. I don't want to be forcing it the wrong way. I think most people have removed them when they are loose already so that probably makes it easier. Thanks.
I would take it to a different Chevy dealer. You do not need to return to the selling dealer for warranty work.

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've given that consideration. I have another thread mentioning what happened to my new truck when the dealer had to install some options on delivery. I'm still shell shocked about how much damage was done and am hesitant to let anybody near it, especially for something that's more of a cosmetic type part. I also have a rattling dash that I won't let them near. I'll have to address it myself. Maybe I'll give it some time and see if anyone gives me some help on the proper procedure to remove it. If not MAYBE I would try another dealer but boy would I kick myself if the truck got more damage. I've seen a few posts on here of guys saying they get them off in 5 minutes. I also saw a video of someone removing a rear door applique by removing the screws and just sliding it rearward. Mine will not do that, believe me I have tried lol. I guess the adhesive on mine is strong and fresh, and an updated part. Thank you for responding.

mackmcmillan

Reaction score
I've given that consideration. I have another thread mentioning what happened to my new truck when the dealer had to install some options on delivery. I'm still shell shocked about how much damage was done and am hesitant to let anybody near it, especially for something that's more of a cosmetic type part. I also have a rattling dash that I won't let them near. I'll have to address it myself. Maybe I'll give it some time and see if anyone gives me some help on the proper procedure to remove it. If not MAYBE I would try another dealer but boy would I kick myself if the truck got more damage. I've seen a few posts on here of guys saying they get them off in 5 minutes. I also saw a video of someone removing a rear door applique by removing the screws and just sliding it rearward. Mine will not do that, believe me I have tried lol. I guess the adhesive on mine is strong and fresh, and an updated part. Thank you for responding.

Man oh man I hate hearing stealership horror stories but they're always true... I bought a new ride via Military Auto Sales while in Iceland to have a proper, working vehicle waiting for me when I got to my next duty station. They decided to take it for a spin, add some scratches AND put their effin' dealership sticker on it. Like I'm getting paid versus paying to advertise for those asshats for FREE? They've got no scruples and DGAF about much of anyone or anything as long as it isn't their own.

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup it's a shame. They don't listen or give a crap. I told them no Armorall. I handed them a paper asking no Armorall with a $20, please no Armorall. The truck was slathered in Armorall, even under the hood. That crap never goes away. Everytime I touch something my hands are slimed. The whole deal is just a mess.

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I had seen those but mine will not move once the screws are removed. I will have to try again. I bought a new one which is the updated piece since I think mine will take damage to remove. There is a vertical weatherstrip right where it looks like I need to pry. I guess I will just have to take my chances that it gets messed up when I stick the trim removal toll in there. As I had mentioned most of these are hanging off already, some with the old design without the top clip. Mine is on there solid so it just doesn't want to move without considerable force which I guess I will have to apply. I just hope I don't deform the weatherstrip. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well just to follow up I finally got around to replacing it. I used a vacuum suction cup to pull/bend the front out just enough to get a trim prying tool behind it without having to pry on the rubber weatherstrip. It was on there very securely and took quite a bit of force to break it free. The little plastic clips broke but I had a new applique to replace it with. I put some additional 3M heavy duty double sided tape in a few extra spots and now no more rattle. Thanks for all the input.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well just to follow up I finally got around to replacing it. I used a vacuum suction cup to pull/bend the front out just enough to get a trim prying tool behind it without having to pry on the rubber weatherstrip. It was on there very securely and took quite a bit of force to break it free. The little plastic clips broke but I had a new applique to replace it with. I put some additional 3M heavy duty double sided tape in a few extra spots and now no more rattle. Thanks for all the input.
Sounds like a good job well done.

Do you have any photos with the applique off and/or the back of the new one so folks can see what is behind there if they need to remove them on their vehicle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh