Anyone upgrade to heated steering wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Success! Plug n play on my non-lux LT. If you have a 15-17, make sure you get version 1 clock spring. My 18 needed version 2. Of course I ordered wrong one first, and spent 2 hours trying to fit a square plug in round hole. Once I got the right part, I did the whole thing in 30 min. I originally had trouble with the airbag (thinking it may go off), but I had it out in 5 minutes this time. Also, original clockspring goes way up into dash and over top to plug; easier to just cut it and reroute new one. Mmmmm warm...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
58ac282f6a128ca27d74a5e34183dd7f.jpg
I know this thread is very old, but thanks for posting your success and experience with doing this modification. I will attempt this myself in the near future.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Has anyone ever added a heated steering wheel to their 2015+ Tahoe?

We have a 16Z71 and I would like to look into adding it.

Thanks

No, but I accidentally changed my heated Denali wheel to a non heated aftermarket. :doh2:

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this thread is very old, but thanks for posting your success and experience with doing this modification. I will attempt this myself in the near future.
You're welcome - thats what these forums are all about. Have used it almost daily the last 2 winters with zero issues - love it! It just doesnt default on when remote start is used like seats do, but it gets warm quickly...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to ordering the parts to do this install.
Heated Steering Wheel PN: 84483796
Clock spring for 2018+ w/ heated steering wheel PN: 84186645

I already looked under the knee baluster and verified my non-lux LT has the female plug for the clock spring built in.
Parts should arrive next week. I'll update with the results.

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything arrived last night from GMPartsStore
Installed this morning. Took about 45mins when following along with the video of the "Tinkering Fox" guy doing it on his Sierra.
Pulling the knee guard back enough to get to all the wires (specifically removing the old clock spring) was the hardest part. I have big hands so it's tough to get in there, but I made it work.
Here are some pics.
steeringwheel2.jpg
steeringwheel.jpg
steeringwheel3.jpg
I will add, I was very happy and felt satisfied when I saw the little orange light come on haha and once it felt warm I was happy the conversion was complete!
Also, a fresh new leather wheel after 50k miles is sure nice.

rattlesnake

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
just so everyone knows, you do not even need the factory female plug on your harness. you will need the wheel and clockspring but you can simply apply power to those two wires in any way you feel with the black wire being negative and it will apparently work. ordering wheel and clockspring now for it will update when done. i have a ppv so i dont expect to have the female plug on the factory harness but who knows.

chickracesktm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I read this post and ordered the version 2 clock spring only to discover my 2018 Tahoe needed the version 1 square/rectangle version. ;) Your description of "square part into a round hole" saved me a lot of time fighting it. For anyone looking: version one is the square/rectangular version and version 2 is the round oval end. GM part #23381964 is version 1. I should have checked the shape on my harness before ordering but at least I knew that 2 versions exist thanks to your post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins