Anyone switched from Yukon to Sierra and regretted it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 5.3 with 4 speed does struggle with the winds that can blow my daughters semi over. The pickup I drove for work had the 6.0 engine with 6 speed tranny and it would blow the doors off my Tahoe.
The Tahoe is far better the ride, though. Doesn't tire me out like the Silverado did.

Those winds are no joke. I've nearly fudged my huggies a few times getting hit out of the blue in WY. Then there are the snow storms that come out of nowhere.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about SUVs, nowadays, is the all encompassing lift gate or hatchback type rear end. I'm over 6 ft. tall and I'm always bumping my head or getting a crick in my neck from the odd position my head is in so I won't get hit. My 99 Tahoe had the pick-up style gate and I loved that. Come to think of it my Bronco II had the same lift gate type situation. Probably hit my head on it so many times I forgot about it! Aloha!

OP
OP
Big Mama

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel ya man. Im only 6’2” and that thing gets me more than I’d care to mention. I’ve noticed some of the smaller suvs coming with barn doors. Maybe they figured out a way to protect rear passengers?

OP
OP
Big Mama

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m still kicking the idea around but the value of my Denali here is so low it’s making the decision for me.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about SUVs, nowadays, is the all encompassing lift gate or hatchback type rear end. I'm over 6 ft. tall and I'm always bumping my head or getting a crick in my neck from the odd position my head is in so I won't get hit. My 99 Tahoe had the pick-up style gate and I loved that. Come to think of it my Bronco II had the same lift gate type situation. Probably hit my head on it so many times I forgot about it! Aloha!

Sounds like you need to lift your SUVs!

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I owned pickups for years. Been in a Suburban for 5 years or so now and won’t be going back anytime soon. I have a nice 5x8 trailer and a tarp for hauling but can fit plenty in the Burb.

Same, only truck out of my long list I miss was a 11 LTZ with the 6.2. That truck was fun and useful.. My burb though, granted not as fast or fun, but more useful, I pull car trailers pushing 7k lbs a few times a year, no real problem, just needs a bit more power.

I wouldnt go backward if it was me, I have my 56 dodge pickup that is a great truck for hauling lumber etc also, so I guess I do have a burb and a truck but the burb gets worked and maintained same with my 56.

BM, Keep where you are at, buy a cheap 00 to 06 single cab if you need a run around truck, pulling the 3rd row expands the old gals though almost as good as a truck though. I've had stuff in my burb, like, patio table, 6 chairs, 6 40 lb bags of salt, and cushions, rugs and it was stacked like jenga in there but it all fit perfectly.

I think you would regret getting a truck at some point. The usb outlets and radios etc are all things you can change easily and for alot less money than buying another ride. 1k investment into yours and you have alot of feature added.

OP
OP
Big Mama

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same, only truck out of my long list I miss was a 11 LTZ with the 6.2. That truck was fun and useful.. My burb though, granted not as fast or fun, but more useful, I pull car trailers pushing 7k lbs a few times a year, no real problem, just needs a bit more power.

I wouldnt go backward if it was me, I have my 56 dodge pickup that is a great truck for hauling lumber etc also, so I guess I do have a burb and a truck but the burb gets worked and maintained same with my 56.

BM, Keep where you are at, buy a cheap 00 to 06 single cab if you need a run around truck, pulling the 3rd row expands the old gals though almost as good as a truck though. I've had stuff in my burb, like, patio table, 6 chairs, 6 40 lb bags of salt, and cushions, rugs and it was stacked like jenga in there but it all fit perfectly.

I think you would regret getting a truck at some point. The usb outlets and radios etc are all things you can change easily and for alot less money than buying another ride. 1k investment into yours and you have alot of feature added.

thanks, I’ve gone back and forth quite a bit. I leave my 3rd row out and, like you, have hauled everything from a few hundred paving stones to dozens of bags of mulch. The Yukon checks all of the boxes except towing comfortably. My boat with gas is about 5k. We sold our lake spot so now I tow it. BM seems to work harder than she should. The road to the lake is up and down hills, has a 45 mph speed limit and no passing.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, I’ve gone back and forth quite a bit. I leave my 3rd row out and, like you, have hauled everything from a few hundred paving stones to dozens of bags of mulch. The Yukon checks all of the boxes except towing comfortably. My boat with gas is about 5k. We sold our lake spot so now I tow it. BM seems to work harder than she should. The road to the lake is up and down hills, has a 45 mph speed limit and no passing.
Re gear that rear end would probably help the towing for sure. 45 makes you trying to run slow and cant stretch the legs and use inertia, that sucks but at least ya still got ways to get to the lake, that's a good thing for sure.

I had a 06 single cab with a 4.3 it was on a 6/8 drop, I towed trailers with that thing alot, and the little 4.3 did me real well, did el paso and back in 2 days in her pulling a 58 ford fairlane. Miss that lil truck sold it to buy a viper truck, fun for 3 months then sold that.. I was surprised how well it towed in the major hills out west. 80 mph and she got 18 mpg with trailer loaded...

I think that swapping gears to something a bit lower may help the towing more than you can imagine, I know the difference between 3.08 and 3.42 is decently felt, and 3.73 feels even more sporty, that's my recommendation.

06-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staffie