Anyone switched from Yukon to Sierra and regretted it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kuhdwi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree on keeping the Tahoe for now. I have a 2003 Tahoe with 179,000 miles and good body, no rust. When I bought it, I planned to keep it a short while then to a Sierra for pulling my travel trailer. Since then (4 yrs ago) I like the ride better than the 2009 HD 2500 crew long bed I used to drive at work (now retired) so will run it into the ground. Only complaint is the full size travel trailer weighs 4500 lbs but the front end provides so much drag the Tahoe is pushed pretty hard to run down the highways here in Wyoming and Colorado. Will upgrade next generation and get the 6 speed transmisson and that should do the trick. Maintenance has been pricey with once in a lifetime services but nothing has broken yet, and has the power and fuel econpmy I want. I keep telling myself be glad, I don't have the $500 monthly payments on a 2018 Terrain that my daughter has.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I agree on keeping the Tahoe for now. I have a 2003 Tahoe with 179,000 miles and good body, no rust. When I bought it, I planned to keep it a short while then to a Sierra for pulling my travel trailer. Since then (4 yrs ago) I like the ride better than the 2009 HD 2500 crew long bed I used to drive at work (now retired) so will run it into the ground. Only complaint is the full size travel trailer weighs 4500 lbs but the front end provides so much drag the Tahoe is pushed pretty hard to run down the highways here in Wyoming and Colorado. Will upgrade next generation and get the 6 speed transmisson and that should do the trick. Maintenance has been pricey with once in a lifetime services but nothing has broken yet, and has the power and fuel econpmy I want. I keep telling myself be glad, I don't have the $500 monthly payments on a 2018 Terrain that my daughter has.
Does it have the 4.8 or 5.3?

PPV09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve had Big Mama (wife names all cars) for 9 years. Kids are gone. I haven’t used the 3rd row in years. I’m thinking of a 2014 or newer Sierra crew cab 4x4. Still need 4 doors at times but could use the versatility of a truck bed, more towing power, and newer gadgets like BT, 110 outlets, USB ports and the like. looks I can afford a truck with 70-80k miles. BM has 135k miles (55k when I bought it) and no issues right now. Thoughts?

PPV09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the voice of reason to all. I have a 12x6 trailer I use to haul stuff, it’s got a ton of gravel right now. It’d just be nice to not have to go through all of that to get it. My boat weighs 4K so good point James. Maybe it’s just a mid life crisis. I’ve always had a truck. Thanks again fellas. Cheers.
Yeah, I totally agree with the others. Save yourselves the headache of the payments. If Big Mama is running well, for less than your monthly payments on a new truck, you can add all the stuff you want. I’m in the process of adding all the new gadgets to my 2009. It’s paid for, runs great and doesn’t cost a House note. You have kids, so you know sooner or later they are going to need some financial help, or you and your wife can take a bunch of vacations instead.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will upgrade next generation and get the 6 speed transmisson and that should do the trick.

Make sure you get 3.42 gears (GU6, K5L KNP, KC4) and not 3.08s and consider looking for one with the integrated trailer brake controller (JL1). We tow heavy loads in 4th, which is a 1.152:1 ratio and not 1:1.

OP
OP
Big Mama

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the RPO James. I’ve noticed some have the trailer brake and some don’t whether slt or not. I think I’m going to look for one at the dealer that’ll let me drive it for a day doing the things I normally do. If it’s not a wow I’ll know the answer. It appears lowering these hasn’t changed much over time but it’s still cash I’ve already spent on BM. The final thing in my small brain is BM is coming of the age where bigger repairs are due. Thanks again to all.

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've been all through MT, WY, CO with my 6.2 6 speed. Whats drag, the clothes in my closet?

kuhdwi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been all through MT, WY, CO with my 6.2 6 speed. Whats drag, the clothes in my closet?
My 5.3 with 4 speed does struggle with the winds that can blow my daughters semi over. The pickup I drove for work had the 6.0 engine with 6 speed tranny and it would blow the doors off my Tahoe.
The Tahoe is far better the ride, though. Doesn't tire me out like the Silverado did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC