Anyone switched from Yukon to Sierra and regretted it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had Big Mama (wife names all cars) for 9 years. Kids are gone. I haven’t used the 3rd row in years. I’m thinking of a 2014 or newer Sierra crew cab 4x4. Still need 4 doors at times but could use the versatility of a truck bed, more towing power, and newer gadgets like BT, 110 outlets, USB ports and the like. looks I can afford a truck with 70-80k miles. BM has 135k miles (55k when I bought it) and no issues right now. Thoughts?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had Big Mama (wife names all cars) for 9 years. Kids are gone. I haven’t used the 3rd row in years. I’m thinking of a 2014 or newer Sierra crew cab 4x4. Still need 4 doors at times but could use the versatility of a truck bed, more towing power, and newer gadgets like BT, 110 outlets, USB ports and the like. looks I can afford a truck with 70-80k miles. BM has 135k miles (55k when I bought it) and no issues right now. Thoughts?

You can add that stuff and save the car payment. I'd keep her. How often do you tow more than 7500 pounds and need a bed full of manure or mulch? You can rent a little U-Haul for $15 for 1/2 a day for those runs.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What James said. I used to own nothing but pickups. I was always thinking I had to have a truck because I ran auto shops and never knew when I would need to haul something. Turns out I did not haul that often at all. Renting a hauler would have been ok, With my barn doors and no 3rd row I have not had any problems. I now have a 2005 FatBoy and have a very close friend with a bike trailer if I need to trailer it. While I do miss my Duramax at times, I love my Tahoe.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get both!

I have both, as you can see in my sig.

The Suburban is way more useful to me than the pickup. I could live without the pickup. I won't live without my Suburban. Main reason I drive the Denali nowadays is it's just a hoot to drive - 400hp and 1000 lbs lighter than my Suburban.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was dead-set on getting a crewcab Sierra and was very actively shopping for the right one. A friend mentioned looking into the SUVs and how much better they were to navigate due to the tighter turning radius. I drove a few and was shocked at how much more I liked the SUV over the truck. Parking lot and crowded street navigation is so much easier. I rarely haul, so a truck bed would stay empty most times. When carrying "clean" cargo (groceries, luggage, etc.), I prefer it to be inside, as in the back of an SUV. My 3rd row seats have been taken out of storage to be used once in the past year. I don't like them being back there if they're not being used since they eat up cargo space. There's significantly less body roll with them out, too. Yes, I could get a bed cover for the truck to carry the clean cargo, but then I'm limited to height if I carried tall items. I'm old and decrepit and have a bad back, so I don't like lifting heavy things to the height of a truck bed. I'd rather use a trailer for the times I need to haul something, and my little 5x8 gets so much more use than my tandem axle 14x6.5. 5x8 is bigger than the bed I would've had with a crewcab truck, anyway. Loading and unloading is much easier with a trailer and I don't have to worry about messing up the top rails, tailgate or bedsides using a truck bed. I'd probably still use the trailer for dirt and dirty item hauling even if I had a truck. An SUV using a trailer is like having a more spacious truck interior and a detachable bed. With a truck, your interior is smaller to make room for the "trailer" you're carrying with you at all times, loaded or not.

Don't get me wrong, trucks have their places. These are my reasons for picking the SUV over a truck.

OP
OP
Big Mama

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the voice of reason to all. I have a 12x6 trailer I use to haul stuff, it’s got a ton of gravel right now. It’d just be nice to not have to go through all of that to get it. My boat weighs 4K so good point James. Maybe it’s just a mid life crisis. I’ve always had a truck. Thanks again fellas. Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17