Anyone swap non Tahoe/Suburban specific rear spings for towing capacity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone found any other heavy duty replacement coils that will work on the rear of a Tahoe that has a higher capacity than the Moog 81069? I have the Moogs and I still get a lot of sag with a couple trailers I pull. I tried airlift bags for the stock application and the bags don't properly fit the Moogs. About to snap.

06JET

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you go old school and get air shocks? Air shocks could be adjusted as needed, when towing just add more air pressure. On board controller with compressor. Like the Air-Lift suspension on my 06 Mustang. It is sitting low here but I can make it look like a 4x4 if I want too just by pushing a button.025 (7).JPG

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, I struggled with the "tail dragging" issues on my '04 Suburban too. Tried air bags but they wouldn't stay inflated (not sure what I did wrong - might have to try reinstalling?) but what finally worked was a weight distributing hitch (WDH) on the trailer.

I don't know if that's an option for you but they seem to work great. Yes, they're heavy as hell and the take a bit of time and tweaking to set up but they completely eliminate the rear sag and as a bonus the one I got (Fastway E2 round bar system) also acts as a sway control. And unlike the type that uses chains, I can back up with this one.

Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071L3H2E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you've tried other methods and they haven't worked it may be worth it to try a WDH.

Couple of nice things about the WDH:

1. Requires NO modifications to your vehicle so you won't have to live with a too-stiff ride when you aren't towing, and

2. Completely portable and removable - if you get a new trailer or a new truck, you can use the WDH system on the new trailer and truck as well.

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just install Monroe MaxAir shocks? They have air bags built in you can inflate to 120 psi is needed...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63