Anyone running Mobil One High Mileage Extended Performance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has experience running Mobil One High Mileage or High Mileage Extended Performance.

My odometer is approaching 160k. I've been running regular 10w30, but replacing the 6th quart of oil with a quart of Lucas (100% petroleum), which helps a lot with quieting lifters at start-up and reducing oil consumption.

Considering bumping up to one of the two synthetic High Mileage formulas... Any experience? Anyone sticking to conventional oil?

Also, is there a consensus on which oil filter to use for higher mileage Vortecs?

Last edited:

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I don't believe in high mileage oil

I also don't believe in conventional oil. Like... Why use something that's objectively worse?

And I *really* don't believe in additives. Lucas dilutes additives in the oil. It's just a thickener. Oh and it likes to make foam, which is no bueno in a hydraulic system like... Ya know... A sump.

170k on mine. Amsoil EAO64 / Fram XG3675. Castrol 0w40 euro spec. I change it anywhere from 2 to 5k, depending on how much idle time / short tripping / freeway driving I'm doing.

Not so much as a tick, click, knock, or wet spot on my engine.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using AC Delco synthetic on all of mine. None of them currently have lifter ticks, the Suburban 2500 did have a slow leak before I got it; when it got bad, I had it resealed. The other vehicles are just fine.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used mobil1 high mileage 5w30 with a matching m1 oil filter. No issues here and my truck approaching 270k. I have owned it for 3 years. I drive it daily for work and seems fine. That's what's in it right now and for the last 4 changes. I usually change it every 7500 miles for peace of mind. It's been getting synthetic 5w30 since I have owned it. I was also using penzoil Plat full syn 5w30.

bayareadude84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my "oil stash" I change every 4000 miles and use what I flip a coin on ;)

On a side note on my '01 work burban 5.3 with 345K miles I had a bad lifter/piston slap noise going on. I flushed oil with Berryman's oil flush, Changed oil pan gasket and then used Rotella Gas/Truck 5W30 and BINGO !!! No more engine noise!!! She's now quite as a new burban !!!

Oh and that Mobil 1 10W30 I got for $6 a jug cause of a Walmart.com price error hehe :driver::chewie:

1641555745910.png
1641555802011.png

bayareadude84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used mobil1 high mileage 5w30 with a matching m1 oil filter. No issues here and my truck approaching 270k. I have owned it for 3 years. I drive it daily for work and seems fine. That's what's in it right now and for the last 4 changes. I usually change it every 7500 miles for peace of mind. It's been getting synthetic 5w30 since I have owned it. I was also using penzoil Plat full syn 5w30.
Seen some tests and reviews those M1 filters are CRAP !! Most mechanics and professionals are using WIX or Fram ultra's

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seen some tests and reviews those M1 filters are CRAP !! Most mechanics and professionals are using WIX or Fram ultra's
That may be the case but in the 15+ years, multiple applications and various driving conditions not one issue.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... Like, what are the symptoms of a poor filter? I'm not looking for obvious failure -- I'm looking for the subtle stuff. I was justing thinking that even a subpar filter would be fine if you change your oil often enough.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my "oil stash" I change every 4000 miles and use what I flip a coin on ;)

On a side note on my '01 work burban 5.3 with 345K miles I had a bad lifter/piston slap noise going on. I flushed oil with Berryman's oil flush, Changed oil pan gasket and then used Rotella Gas/Truck 5W30 and BINGO !!! No more engine noise!!! She's now quite as a new burban !!!

Oh and that Mobil 1 10W30 I got for $6 a jug cause of a Walmart.com price error hehe :driver::chewie:

View attachment 359905
View attachment 359906

Holy moly. o_O

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does "High Mileage" oil mean its for an engine with higher mileage on the odometer? Or does it just mean that the oil change interval is rated on more miles driven before the next oil change? (I always thought it was the former).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345