Anyone replace the steering shaft bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sucks that you have to poke holes in the side of the steering wheel to remove the airbag and fix this.

OP
OP
F

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To unlock the airbag, you have to push on the springs. The 15+ Yukon wheels do not have an open hole.

C09B7D7E-45FF-4D8D-BDAD-DB8E35F801E2.jpeg

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s not where you do it. You remove the column trim and turn the steering wheel to the side and slide a small flat head into the slots on either side and pull up to pop the spring. It’s a bit hard to describe but you do not poke holes in the steering wheel.

OP
OP
F

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every instruction I’ve read so far and vid show on the Yukon’s to pop through those holes.

the Colorado/Canyon you rotate the wheel, take off the column cover and insert a screw drive at the 6 o’clock position. (But you spin the wheel so it’s upside down). And that pops the air bag off

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Poking holes in the steering wheel is the "I don't know what I'm doing YouTube certified" way. This guy basically shows the correct way. He doesn't mention the column trim needs to be off but you can see that it is. It works better to slide the screwdriver in the slot he shows and then pick up on the screwdriver basically using it as a pry bar to push down the clip on the airbag. You do have to do both sides.

OP
OP
F

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to come back to this. Are there any screws holding the Column trim together or is it all just snapped together? (2015 Yukon Denali)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy