Anyone replace the steering column firewall seal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
For a while now I've been having a very faint squishy/squeely sound from under the dash when I turn the wheel. Notice it more when I'm going slower like backing up into my driveway and the radio is turned down and I'm turning the wheel a lot. I've sprayed the steering shaft at this seal in the engine bay, and it used to quiet it down for a few days but doesn't anymore. Figured a replacement is $25, unless the sound is coming from somewhere else, but I don't know where or what else it could be.

Anyone done this? Hard? Easy? Tips?

20230104_140440.jpg

Last edited:

me88

Reaction score
I crawled under the dash and sprayed silicone spray liberally into the groove, then turned the steering a couple times back and forth all the way to spread the silicone oil into the grommet. It won't disappear completely but 90% of the rubbing noise will be gone.

wife's Buick has a tsb for a sound in the steering column, the seal.
There is a TSB for GMT900 vehicles too.

Last edited:

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda wondering the same thing too ???? I get a squeak occasionally too.
And what would be the procedure to replace?? Does the entire steering column need to
be removed ???
I know many of the GMT900 needed the intermediate steering shaft replaced due to
the "clunking" and "looseness".. Which I've never experienced in my 2014

OP
OP
gooffeyguy
Reaction score
Just noticed this thread got moved to the "Interior" forum. I don't remember what forum I originally posted it in, but would it be considered interior? The part is actually in the engine bay and is part of the steering system, so who knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu