Anyone own a Yukon and Durango?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If so, please let me know some comparisons.
I am really liking the new Durango SRT8.
It seems like it should be a nice combination of SUV meets muscle car and tows 8600#.
This is important to me towing a 7000# boat/trailer.
I have always towed with full sized trucks- F150, Avalanche, Expedition EL, Yukon Denali XL.
Besides the obvious loss of size, is there anything else I will be disappointed with in towing with a Durango SRT8?
636218251400728791-2018-Dodge-Durango-SRT02.jpg

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot speak to a durango's towing ability, but it is a comfortable and spacious ride. My wife put nearly 40k on hers that we just traded back in late January. It had not a single issue from new to when we traded it.

Hers was not a SRT, it had the 3.6L and 8sp auto. I drove it many hours on long road trips and while I prefer the larger interior and exterior proportions of the full size Ford and GM suv's, the Durango had all of the interior amenities that come with a $65-$70k GM SUV at a much lower cost. With that lower cost obviously you give up size and interior space though.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i own a burb, but test drove tahoes, yukons & durangos.

i know i'd like the power of an SRT8, but the interior space was a bit tight for me. also it wouldnt have been as comfortable for multiple passengers w/ smaller interior space.

i liked the space of the hoe & yuk. however they made me a heck of a deal on the burb.

i talked to a guy that had an SRT8 durango that was towing a pontoon boat. think he said boat &trailer were 5500#s he said it towed great.

i'd say go test drive one. if you like it, then try a tow test w/ it

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree. I like the looks of the durango but 1) I have to believe its going to get a makeover soon and 2) its pretty tight inside.

nj16yukon

Reaction score
I have a '15 Durango Limited (V6) and a '16 XL Denali. Love them both but for different reasons. The Durango platform (which is based on the Mercedes GL platform) is a perfect mix of comfort and handling. I've had sport sedans my entire adult life so I really appreciate the way it handles. I opted for the V6 instead of the Hemi because the Mrs. did not care for the stiffer suspension in the R/T model. Being it was a family hauler I reluctantly agreed. I would bet that the SRT8 is just a blast to drive. Power and handling, what more can you ask for??

If you use the 3rd row for carseats, or adults, the Durango gets tight. Even on trips to the grocery store, I found myself having to put bags in the front. We just had our 3rd child and that prompted the XL purchase. In general I don't find the Durango interior small as others have said, but it definitely has more of a "cockpit" feel than the open, airy feeling of the Yukons/Tahoes. Also the 3rd row is only 2 wide, but spacious for legroom.

I was actually surprised how much I enjoy driving the XL. The power of the 6.2 is excellent, and it definitely "drives small" as many have said. And the XL gives you ample cargo room while still using the 3rd row.

Can't speak to the towing capabilities, sorry.

OP
OP
Shadow17

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i

i talked to a guy that had an SRT8 durango that was towing a pontoon boat. think he said boat &trailer were 5500#s he said it towed great.
I'm pretty sure he has the R/T. The SRT hasn't been released yet. The SRT will have 100+ hp and tows 1200# more than the R/T.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ he had SRT badging & a hood, so i didnt know or think to ask about if it was real or not.

come to think of it...his front fascia didnt look like the one in pic in OP

OP
OP
Shadow17

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ he had SRT badging & a hood, so i didnt know or think to ask about if it was real or not.

come to think of it...his front fascia didnt look like the one in pic in OP
Well, I believe the badge does add 50hp. :D

unxpctd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First post here.... been lurking for awhile.

I own a Durango R/T, 2014. Love the vehicle...I take long trips (2x per year) at around 4000-5000 miles round trip each. I drive from Minnesota to every corner of the US every few years. I'm a National Park fan. I did Florida and Key West back in February 2017 (2nd time) and am taking another trip out west (WY/OR/WA/Montana) this July. My back never gets sore, ever. I did 18 hours on the way back from CA in 2015 without any issues. 25 gallon fuel tank..when I stretch it I can get 550 miles on a tankful.

I get 21-22mpg on the highway and my Durango has been nothing short of perfect. Its a great traveling vehicle. Mine has 36K on it.

But...I'm a big guy...6'6" and 280. I would enjoy the room that a larger vehicle brings. I'm looking at a GMC Yukon Denali but the buffeting has me worried. I know all vehicles have some problems here and there but I don't want to have me or the girlfriend feeling ill 500 miles into a 5000 mile round trip.

I'm seriously considering the 2018 Durango SRT when it comes out. I spent 10 years with a 450rwhp supercharged Mercury Marauder so I love power...and the SRT would fit the bill for a vehicle with more power but still be able to take long trips and get 19-20mpg. I know the Durango is a proven vehicle (for the most part) and the engine would be heaven.

I'll look at the Jeep Trackhawk (both the 6.4 Hemi and the 6.2 S/C version) but I'm not sure I can deal with taking a 707HP SUV on long trips...along with dealing with 707HP in the snow in the winter here in MN.

After lurking here for a few months I may look at a Denali when I'm ready in the fall...but I'm leaning towards the Durango. The only thing I like about the Jeeps, even the regular 6.4 Hemi is the panoramic moonroof and lack of 3rd row. I love my Durango but have never had my 3rd row up (no kids).

I'm beginning to think that the Durango SRT will be the sweet spot for performance/fun vs. driveability (in winter and on trips). I love my 5.7L Hemi...its fast...but its not that fast. The Durango SRT would bring it up a notch, 4.5 0-60 and 12.9 in the 1/4 are the supposed numbers.

To each their own I guess. I thank everyone here for their stories and information. Good luck with whatever you choose!

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First post here.... been lurking for awhile.

I own a Durango R/T, 2014. Love the vehicle...I take long trips (2x per year) at around 4000-5000 miles round trip each. I drive from Minnesota to every corner of the US every few years. I'm a National Park fan. I did Florida and Key West back in February 2017 (2nd time) and am taking another trip out west (WY/OR/WA/Montana) this July. My back never gets sore, ever. I did 18 hours on the way back from CA in 2015 without any issues. 25 gallon fuel tank..when I stretch it I can get 550 miles on a tankful.

I get 21-22mpg on the highway and my Durango has been nothing short of perfect. Its a great traveling vehicle. Mine has 36K on it.

But...I'm a big guy...6'6" and 280. I would enjoy the room that a larger vehicle brings. I'm looking at a GMC Yukon Denali but the buffeting has me worried. I know all vehicles have some problems here and there but I don't want to have me or the girlfriend feeling ill 500 miles into a 5000 mile round trip.

I'm seriously considering the 2018 Durango SRT when it comes out. I spent 10 years with a 450rwhp supercharged Mercury Marauder so I love power...and the SRT would fit the bill for a vehicle with more power but still be able to take long trips and get 19-20mpg. I know the Durango is a proven vehicle (for the most part) and the engine would be heaven.

I'll look at the Jeep Trackhawk (both the 6.4 Hemi and the 6.2 S/C version) but I'm not sure I can deal with taking a 707HP SUV on long trips...along with dealing with 707HP in the snow in the winter here in MN.

After lurking here for a few months I may look at a Denali when I'm ready in the fall...but I'm leaning towards the Durango. The only thing I like about the Jeeps, even the regular 6.4 Hemi is the panoramic moonroof and lack of 3rd row. I love my Durango but have never had my 3rd row up (no kids).

I'm beginning to think that the Durango SRT will be the sweet spot for performance/fun vs. driveability (in winter and on trips). I love my 5.7L Hemi...its fast...but its not that fast. The Durango SRT would bring it up a notch, 4.5 0-60 and 12.9 in the 1/4 are the supposed numbers.

To each their own I guess. I thank everyone here for their stories and information. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Keep in mind the current Durango is at the end of it's cycle. It will probably be completely redesigned for a 2018 release (as a 2019).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh

Latest posts