Anyone know what could be causing this noise? 2003 Tahoe Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gc2001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

I've got a 2003 Tahoe Z71 with about 124,000 miles.

It's recently been giving me a squeaking/sweeping noise when driving. It's most audible at 20-25mph and the squeaks become quieter and less frequent as I brake, leading me to think it's related to something rotating, or a worn out part that's experiencing some rubbing. It doesn't make the noise while idling.

Here's an audio file, it's a bit difficult to hear over the sound of the tires but you can hear it squeaking if you listen closely.

Audio File

I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Would love to help but when I try to listen, it wants me to open up a gmail account. Not gonna happen. You can download at you tube and then post the link here and we can hear it.

From your description, it sounds like a brake pad rub, pad hardware rub, wheel bearing noise....etc. Does the noise change when going straight and then move the steering wheel from 12 to 2 or 12 to 10?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like either a brake squealer touching the rotor or a pad that is vibrating against the caliper or mount. Pull the front brakes apart and I'm sure you'll find your noise maker

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, I can hear now. I stick with my original suggestion. I have heard a sound like that before that also came from a start of a dry needle bearing in a u-joint cup. You might want to remove at least the front driveshaft and check for any noise or binding when you flex the yokes.

OP
OP
G

gc2001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea, I can hear now. I stick with my original suggestion. I have heard a sound like that before that also came from a start of a dry needle bearing in a u-joint cup. You might want to remove at least the front driveshaft and check for any noise or binding when you flex the yokes.
Appreciate the info. I had someone tell me the front wheel bearings on these trucks can go bad and if they're loose they can cause the rotor to wobble. Is this what you're referring to with the dry needle bearing or is that something else?

Thanks for your service.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Appreciate the info. I had someone tell me the front wheel bearings on these trucks can go bad and if they're loose they can cause the rotor to wobble. Is this what you're referring to with the dry needle bearing or is that something else?

Thanks for your service.
Wheel bearing and u-joint are two totally different things. The wheel bearings are just that, bearings at the wheels. The u-joint is at the driveshaft that is from the transfer case to the front axle differential housing. It used to be that with what I used to call a "live axle", which was a complete whole axle assembly up front, for the 4x4 capability, that the two axle shafts that splined with the hubs, there was actually u-joints there. Now, with the half shafts of the GMT800 you and I have, there is an actual hub bearing assembly that includes the hub with the wheel studs to allow for the wheel to be bolted to it.

So, a dry bearing at the hub or a dry needle bearing at the u-joint, can cause that noise. The reason I asked about if the noise changes when you rock the steering wheel, is that if while driving straight and hear the noise, you turn the steering wheel from 12 to 2 and/or 12 to 10 you are loading the front end when you do that. If you turn slightly right the left front corner gets heavier and the wheel bearing on the left side can sometimes make more noise than when going straight. If you turn left slightly, the opposite happens to the right front end.

The u-joint at the driveshaft would not be effected by this turning left and right. The driveshaft is spinning though, even if not in four wheel drive. IMO, I think it is a rub at the brake pads or hardware or even a rock but I am offering up other possibilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094