Anyone installed the HT383E in their Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mitch1965

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am considering replacing the engine on my '99, with either the crate vortec replacement, or the HT383E crate engine. I'm wondering if anyone has installed it, and their overall reactions/ satisfaction/ was it worth the money opinions.
Thank you.

dmhscorpio

Reaction score
I am considering replacing the engine on my '99, with either the crate vortec replacement, or the HT383E crate engine. I'm wondering if anyone has installed it, and their overall reactions/ satisfaction/ was it worth the money opinions.
Thank you.
I had a HT383E installed in my '99 Tahoe 2 door. I had 300K miles on the original 5.7 with no issues. It was still running well and used a quart of oil between changes.
After a lot of research I selected the HT383E. I liked the warranty of a new GM engine. I didn't like, but did understand, that a registered shop has to install it for the warranty. In the past I built a 383 stroker and stuffed it in a 1974 Vega wagon. The HT383E comes with a new distributor, wires and plugs, as well as the water pump.
It dropped in with no issues.
The performance is a huge improvement over the stock 5.7. With the stock 5.7, from a WOT stop, I had good torque through 1st and second, but when it shifted to 3rd, not so much!
The 383 just keeps pulling. I haven't had a tune done on it, but realize it would make a real difference. With the extra torque I would like the transmission shift points changed. I think the shift points could be a lot later, with the additional torque.
I am pleased that I did the 383 over the stock 350. The $ was painful, but I have had zero regrets for doing it.

dmh

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score
I popped for the GM 350 stock replacement back in 2017. Engine builder gave it the hanger orange treatment.

Paid $2,098 for the engine shipped to my door. About the same getting it installed.

new motor.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094