Anyone installed AirLift 1000 Helper bags for towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would appreciate any tips or hints from those who have installed the AirLift 1000 helper air bags inside the Z71 springs. We tow a travel trailer with my 'Burb and the rear end drags, so I got some air bags to help.

60769-air-lift-1000.jpg

Looked at a few online sites but what I'd love to see would be a detailed video of the process. For those who have done it, do you recommend removing the rear wheels for easier access to the springs? Or is it better to jack up the truck with a floor jack, then put jack stands under the frame and let the wheels stay on the ground while the frame moves up (to "Stretch" the springs out?)

My truck is an LT but I am running Z71 springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks in the back.

Thanks for any tips and as I said, a link to a video would be awesome if anybody has one!

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would do it that way anyway... jack up by rear end, jackstand the framepull the wheels and let the rear down... otherwise you havebto work around the wheels and underneath on you back

OP
OP
Martinjmpr

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would do it that way anyway... jack up by rear end, jackstand the framepull the wheels and let the rear down... otherwise you havebto work around the wheels and underneath on you back

OK, so dumb question maybe but ... do I need to support the axle with a set of jack stands as well? Or is it OK to let it hang?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want it to hang to give you the most room to squeeze those bags inside the springs. I've done this on cars just not my truck, yet.

Galandorian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added them to my Tahoe, and did the install with all tires on.

These were the videos I followed:

it's really straight forward and took about 1.5 hours to do

IMG_8609.JPG
IMG_8610.JPG
IMG_8611.JPG
IMG_8616.JPG

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did mine last week, some ppl prefer dual air lines to prevent load transfer.
airbag1-jpg.198254
airbag2-jpg.198255

OP
OP
Martinjmpr

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to post back up here but I did get to do the install on my Suburban last month.

Everything went well, except that actually getting the bags into the springs was a SOB. I finally resorted to rolling them longways (like a hot dog bun) and then holding them closed with a zip tie. Then once they were inside the spring, I cut the zip tie.

Used them on a couple of trips so far. They seem to work OK although I'm a little disappointed that I still get some rear sagging.

Question: The manual says 35psi max. Has anyone run more than that with good results? If so, what PSI did you run?

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m about to order a set myself for my Denali. What do you guys do for an air compressor? Do you have one I board tied into power somehow or use a separate one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT

Latest posts